Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inertia Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:32 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inertia Switch

Hi all,
So somehow during me vacuuming out my disco I must have triggered the inertia switch. When I first tried to start it, it just would immediately flash the hazards and then turn over with out starting and honk once. I got my owners manual out and reset the inertia switch (I think). It now starts and runs fine for about 45 seconds to a minute then the hazards come on. It continues to stay running. To turn the hazards off I have to disconnect the battery. What would make it turn the hazards on like that?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i had my d1 do something similar, 1st time it was bad service engine soon light "box"

second time i was just driving and they came on, turned off truck they stayed on, turned on truck they went off

Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 AM
8th Gear

Yeah, mine do not turn off when I shut the engine off. They just stay on. The only way I can get them to turn off is by disconnecting the battery. I really hope I can get this resolved, my faith in Land Rover is fading quickly.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, don't try to reset the inerita switch by disconnecting the battery, you are just deleting information from the ECUs that will then have to be relearned or reprogramed.
Might want to reset your alarm first, using your key or the remote, lock and unlock the doors three times and see if this helps.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 AM
8th Gear

Thanks Mike!
Only problem I have is I bought the truck with a aftermarket alarm (which I despise deeply) and none of the power lock equipent works. So essentially I can arm my alarm but cannot lock the doors. All the doors lock manually except the driver door which is the saftey lock door. My key does not unlock my door, it just spins like it should unlock, it just doesnt engage. When I push the central power lock button on the dash I can hear a relay clicking... Ideally I would like to disconnect the aftermarket alarm system, and use only the power locks. I do like the remote start that is with the aftermarket alarm though.
How much is a replacement Land Rover key fob? And how do I go about programming it?
How can get the four way issue to go away? I cannot drive the truck as it sits and I really miss it!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 AM
8th Gear

Hi, I wanted to get this going again...

I am still having problems with this. I now can get it to drive with doing to the reset on the firewall. Just every once in a while... at random... the truck dies, four ways kick on, and the horn beeps when you turn the key to off.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this system?

OR... Just bypass it. I really don't care about the fuel kill system. My first vehicle was a gas leaking Suzuki Samurai. If I can survive that, I can survive this.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if it is a discovery two then pull up the engine fuse box. There is the wire that goes from the pump to the switch and it grounds out underneath on the body. its green and white.

The following users liked this post:
jaffanator (07-01-2022)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
if it is a discovery two then pull up the engine fuse box. There is the wire that goes from the pump to the switch and it grounds out underneath on the body. its green and white.
what do you mean to check on this wire ?? Cheers

Old 02-17-2021, 02:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Layt88
what do you mean to check on this wire ?? Cheers
When you unbolt your drivers compartment fuse box, after removing necessary wires and such, you will see a piece of vertical body metal running just beneath...wires will rub against this piece of metal and short out.