Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INSTALLED A LH WINDOW REGULATOR. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSTALLED A LH WINDOW REGULATOR. HELP!!

So with much more ease than i expected, my friend and i replaced my LH Window Regulator. A week ago i hit my window switch and the window went down and then would not come up. It would make a clicking sound when my switch was pressed down and a motor sound when pushed up. Members were quick to advise me that it was indeed the Window Regulator.

I removed the trim, the plastic weather sheet and then the glass window and pulled it up into the UP position and taped it to hold it in place. Then removed the screws which held the regulator. After removing the old regulator i noticed that it was jammed and would not move up the teeth at all. I took off the regulator motor and hooked it back up to the rovers power source and it worked fine. I was concerned as the regulator i purchased did not have a motor with it and then the fear was that it might be the motor. I thought the regulator would include a motor. My mistake. So i put the motor on the new regulator and then did the install and put back all the pieces including the trim.

Then turned on the rover and hit the window switch up and down. It worked. YAY!!! Then i hit the down switch again for the window to do its auto down to full window down. CLINK CLINK. And the window will not come up.

So we started the process all over again. Went very slow and completely removed and installed again. SAME THING. When the window goes all the way down it clinks and won't come up. It seems like it is catching on something to prevent it from coming up, but i could not see anything.

We then started over again and removed everything and looked inside. At one point i thought it was catching on a metal piece on the bottom of the door frame, but on the install again, it was not. BUT ONCE AGAIN A CLINK CLINK.

I then thought maybe there is supposed to be a rubber thing at the bottom of the teeth in the regulator to stop it from going any further beyond the teeth. But the old regulator seemed to look exactly like the new. Nothing appeared to be missing.

So after 3 installs i am now clueless......

Is it possible there is a switch issue and the switch is not stopping soon enough.

Anyone have any thoughts.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: INSTALLED A LH WINDOW REGULATOR. HELP!!

Fairlyinexperienced at this myself, but have discovered that the output gear from the transmission attached to the motor itself would "slip" under load, although it turned just fine for the bench test. I had same symptoms, but manually lifted the regulator assembly, so realized the problem was before that. I am returning the regulator and purchasing a motor (on order) and will tell you how it worked out. You can confirm with a vice grip or similar (cushioned so you dont damage teeth) to see if that is the source of your trouble.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: INSTALLED A LH WINDOW REGULATOR. HELP!!

Dork of the day award goes to Rich 00 DISCO. Answering messages 2 years (& 3 days) old.