Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster and grounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster and grounds

Past month or so when start my Disco the battery light is on. I blip the throttle and it goes away and doesn't return until its sit overnight at least. I have a newer alt and battery from this year so don't think this is it (and the alt is not a rebuilt one from any autoparts store, its a genuine LR replacement). This didn't start until the temp got really cold but I figured it might be a ground that needs cleaning. Wasn't to worried as I don't drive it to often.

Today I started it and noticed the battery light wasn't on as I was suspecting. When I got in I realized the entire instrument cluster was not working. The lights behind it were on but all needles were down. Turned on the turn signal and initially it didn't work but when I tried it a second time all of the sudden the entire dash started working again. Looking over some post and looking at the RAVE and see mentions which fuses to check but don't think that is it (unless they came loose), bad instrument board possibly, or my thought is bad ground. It appears there is one under the driver side carpet by the foot rest pedal area.

Figure these are my places to start but curious if anyone else had similar issues or maybe something else (or other ground) it could possibly be? I know tracking down electrical stuff can be fun

Thanks

Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwilks
Past month or so when start my Disco the battery light is on. I blip the throttle and it goes away and doesn't return until its sit overnight at least. I have a newer alt and battery from this year so don't think this is it (and the alt is not a rebuilt one from any autoparts store, its a genuine LR replacement). This didn't start until the temp got really cold but I figured it might be a ground that needs cleaning. Wasn't to worried as I don't drive it to often.

Today I started it and noticed the battery light wasn't on as I was suspecting. When I got in I realized the entire instrument cluster was not working. The lights behind it were on but all needles were down. Turned on the turn signal and initially it didn't work but when I tried it a second time all of the sudden the entire dash started working again. Looking over some post and looking at the RAVE and see mentions which fuses to check but don't think that is it (unless they came loose), bad instrument board possibly, or my thought is bad ground. It appears there is one under the driver side carpet by the foot rest pedal area.

Figure these are my places to start but curious if anyone else had similar issues or maybe something else (or other ground) it could possibly be? I know tracking down electrical stuff can be fun

Thanks
A real headache problem. If it's not a fuse I think the earthing problem could be your answer. I initially would check out the engine earth ground to the chassis and clean it and reconnect. Also check the other grounds from the dash to the chassis etc. You can check these with a multimeter using resistance on ohms. Hopefully, you can trace it early on as it could be a long methodical exercise. I'm certainly not an expert on auto electrics as they can be very fickle and the obvious is sometimes far from the reality. I'm sure there are some good auto electrical techies on here with a lot more knowledge than mine.

PS Check the connections on the alternator are also clean and making good contact.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwilks

Thanks
You know I have the exact same issue in my Disco when it's cold. As soon as it warms up after a few minutes, the instrument cluster just turns on. It's the weirdest thing. I have just lived with as it doesn't really bother me all that much. My UG works fine, so nothing too critical I'm missing there. However, I remember when I was trying to figure it out, my rover mechanic suggested it could be the fuse box under the driver's side kick panel. Something about the IDM in there. In the summer, the symptoms go away. My truck hasn't done it this winter, but it didn't get too cold. It's up in Seattle sitting in a garage now because my wife and I are moving next week, so I'm not sure if it will do it this winter up there or not...