Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake manifold removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold removal

After fixing my other "lemon" i'm back to the LR...I think i have my problem identified as a blown intake gasket. I sprayed carb cleaner around it while the engine was running and the rpm's went up in one spot. The plugs were in terrible shape, showing signs of overheating (due to the unmetered air no doubt) therefore causing my elusive lean code. since my last post i have replaced all 4 02's and plugs. After a short drive all monitors are "ready" except catalyst and 02, Then when i blast it on the interstate for 15 minutes the check engine light is back on with the lean codes i posted earlier.
My question is this....what has to be removed to get to the intake manifold gasket? and in what order, i dont want to get into this blindly. Also are any torque settings and sequences listed here or anywhere?. This is my first LR and i want to get it done correctly.
Thanks for any info

Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: intake manifold removal

I do not know, but I am sure that somebody will chime in.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: intake manifold removal

I'm not sure about yourDII, but on myDIthe intake manifold and plenum (with fuel rail) can come off as one assembly after disconnecting the fuel lines, coolant lines, intake hose, throttle cable, and any needed harness.

There's no particular order on removing the intake manifold. Besides the items I listed above, if the manifold still will not come off, you just have to remove whatever might be holding it.Also keep in mind sometimes the old gasket will create a tight seal between the manifold and head. You may have to tap it with a hammer to break the seal.

Like the cylinder heads there is a torque setting and sequence for installing the intake manifold. The sequenceis the same like any other intake manifold or head. Starting in the center and going outward in a circle pattern while increasing the torque setting. The question you need answer is what should be the final torque setting. That I do not know. I can check my manual and tell you the DI final torque setting, I'm pretty sure the DII will be similar.

One thing I notice about these intake manifold bolts is that they are robust bolt.I don't know the exact bolt diameter, but these have to be the largest intake manifold bolts I've ever removed/install.

For me Iused my hands and pass experience to determine how tight to tighten the manifold bolts. Intakemanifold bolts are not as critical as cylinder head bolts, but the torque setting is important. Cylinder head, main and rod bearing boltsI will always use the torque wrench.Everything else I use my hands.