Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting thought

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting thought

I was on my thinking chair tonight(other people refer to it as "the can") and I was wondering, with how technically advanced the Discovery and other Land Rovers are compared to vehicles from the same year/decade, what is the biggest failure or problem you could get without getting some sort of warning light to illuminate. I am also a pilot and it seems there is either a light or a gauge for everything that is going on with the plane(as it should be) and am curious what problems could occur without a warning light. Any ideas?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Interesting thought

That's a good question. I would think having your rear differential fail when your going60 mphdown the highway would be bad. I don't think any lights would come on. My dad's friend had that happen in a work van. He had tool boxes and welding bottles flying all over in there when the van spun out and rolled. Luckly he walked away.

Willie

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about you sir, but my previous 96 Disco was doing ALL sorts of Houdini tricks on me:

Where do I begin? O yes! there was a time when I was on my way to Montreal on a summer week and early in the morning when I turned my car off, pulled the key out, the car was still running drove it for another 100-ft or so and it died;

Still not impressed? The windows were all cross-wired ON ITS OWN! So you could imagine the fun I had when I wanted to close one window, another window, a RANDOM driver/passenger opened.

There are more with electrical, but you HAD to be there to experience: still it was my favorite ride, called it Gorgeous George meself (after the bare-knuckled boxer from ******, the movie); I currently own a 04 Disco (a G4 edition), and its not as "fun" as Gorgeous everything works fine, (knock on wood), now and then... hahahaha!

The machine itself is incredible; simple basic suspension is one of my MOST favorite parts of the car (esp the ones before the air/hydraulic-crap); cheers!

AK

Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The biggest failer that you could get would be your transfer case going out, no warning lights.
Just a plain old simple gear box just like the one on your great grand fathers farm tractor.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The only thing I can think of would be the drive shaft failure on the DIIs. But one simple fix permanently gets rid of the problem.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm a pilot as well and can agree with the failure lights or idiot lights... I think I am in store of a engine blowing apart due to a bad batch of engine blocks... Disco II 2003... Oh Boy, let the fun begin.. she's got 62,800 on her and I have just found out about the lovely oil pump issue and my vin number is smack dab in the middle LET THE METAL FLY...!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Three Wheeling

RedBaron586... go get yourself one of these...!!! Perfect Conversation piece at an F.B.O.

http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ3300

Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cessna you can save your engine you know. Just pay close attention to your dash. If your oil light ever comes on kill the engine immediately. Don't start it again until you put a new oil pump in. If you catch it in time you should then be good to go for another 60k miles.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling

if that is the case, I am getting ready to put new head gaskets on... should I go ahead while she's down and put a new pump on her...?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Drifting

cool, thanks for the heads up, cessna310guy! I think I have mentioned enough to everyone about a small indoor helicopter and hopefully someone remembers it come december 25

Quick Reply: Interesting thought