Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inverter and Dual Battery Setup

Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I have a Xantrex 1800 inverter and would like to do a dual battery setup and have some few questions.
The inverter need less than 10 ft of wire for installation. From engine to the left back side of the disco compartment is over 13 ft. Is it possible to relocate 2 batteries and leave one battery in the original battery tray?
I would like to leave the original battery as starting battery and the 2 relocated ones are for the inverter, how to do that?
If anyone can point me to the right direction here? Thanks
Gerry
Columbia Overland has a solenoid that makes this possible I just bought the solenoid and a controlle. With this solenoid you have the option of running two batteries in the back parallel with each other while keeping the main battery separate.

Joe

Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thanks Jeffh,
I was considering a larger alternator which I found online at 320 Amps. Are those safe and wont burn out wires?
I suggest finding a good site on electrical theory. Based on your posts I seriously advise against you attempting anything like what you're talking about until you have a solid understanding of the theory involved.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR03NJ, After a bit more thought I think that the guys suggesting a Honda generator may be onto something. You could mount it on the roof or on a hitch-mount rack on the back (or on the front) An external, self-contained power source would probably be the best given the circumstances. You can get quiet generators and to be honest cars and car charging systems aren't really made to make electrical power as you need.

Marine applications (sailboats) have specific generators, different types of batteries, etc. that are made to run electronics for a long period of time vs. just power an engine.

I'm not exactly sure what you are doing (what type of video, is it for news/media that it is time sensitive, etc.) but next time you see a big news event take a walk around most of the news/TV vans - they ALL have external generators built into the side of the vans/trucks. Same thing with motor homes and RV's - get the right tool for the job. Additionally, (I lived in NYC for a long time until recently) the food trucks you see all over NYC usually have an external generator mounted to them vs. going a dual/quad battery setup and running everything off the truck's engine/battery.

I'm new to LR's in general but I'd suggest that if you wanted to go dual-battery think about finding a way (if there is space) to add on a specific alternator (or dare I say generator like the old school Series Rovers??) to the engine - keep the engine electronics on one system and buld in a second system specific to the computer and editing systems you need.

Funny how you are looking for big power. I'm in IT and spend a lot of time building the most robust low-power solutions I can find. For my Disco I'm going to be putting in an extremely low power consumption Intel Atom box (the size of a Mac mini) to power a few things... but the consumption in all will be less than 120W; ~25-30W for the computer I'll install.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 30more
Columbia Overland has a solenoid that makes this possible I just bought the solenoid and a controlle. With this solenoid you have the option of running two batteries in the back parallel with each other while keeping the main battery separate.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I went to their website and found tons of useful things.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
TReK
Default alternator

Originally Posted by antichrist
I suggest finding a good site on electrical theory. Based on your posts I seriously advise against you attempting anything like what you're talking about until you have a solid understanding of the theory involved.
Thanks, I called them this morning and found out that the alternator kit include all the heavy duty cables and its completely bolt on for the 270 amps upgrade. I had a custom battery mount for the Odyssey PC2150 that will go under the Rover beneath the passenger side seat. I'll just go for 1 extra battery.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by 90'sDisco
LR03NJ, After a bit more thought I think that the guys suggesting a Honda generator may be onto something. You could mount it on the roof or on a hitch-mount rack on the back (or on the front) An external, self-contained power source would probably be the best given the circumstances. You can get quiet generators and to be honest cars and car charging systems aren't really made to make electrical power as you need.

Marine applications (sailboats) have specific generators, different types of batteries, etc. that are made to run electronics for a long period of time vs. just power an engine.

I'm not exactly sure what you are doing (what type of video, is it for news/media that it is time sensitive, etc.) but next time you see a big news event take a walk around most of the news/TV vans - they ALL have external generators built into the side of the vans/trucks. Same thing with motor homes and RV's - get the right tool for the job. Additionally, (I lived in NYC for a long time until recently) the food trucks you see all over NYC usually have an external generator mounted to them vs. going a dual/quad battery setup and running everything off the truck's engine/battery.

I'm new to LR's in general but I'd suggest that if you wanted to go dual-battery think about finding a way (if there is space) to add on a specific alternator (or dare I say generator like the old school Series Rovers??) to the engine - keep the engine electronics on one system and buld in a second system specific to the computer and editing systems you need.

Funny how you are looking for big power. I'm in IT and spend a lot of time building the most robust low-power solutions I can find. For my Disco I'm going to be putting in an extremely low power consumption Intel Atom box (the size of a Mac mini) to power a few things... but the consumption in all will be less than 120W; ~25-30W for the computer I'll install.
Thanks 90'sDisco,
I went ahead for the inverter that I have, RV style. I thought about generators before but the space is really limited. I like taking the Land Rover to jobs if not I'll just get a van. LOL. Generators cant be on top of my truck coz I'm running a 32" tires, some of parking garages here wont even allow me to park because I keep hitting the plastic tubes upon entrance. That is also the reason why I cant add a roof rack. I can easily modify a swing away carrier mounted on the hitch for a generator but if I have to get even a small item inside and swing the generator out of the way, its just too much. IMHO, Gasoline has to be constantly checked on generators. Had to drain, or replace fluids and maintaining a generator not being used is a lot more work. The inverter is tucked and can be used any time needed once installed.
I see those lunch trucks and stands in NY with a quiet generator and works fine for them. I'm doing a power upgrade because when the storm Sandy hit us life became hard for weeks without power and I also needed backup to for our home generator.
BTW, here are some picts of my rover with computer and also the 300 watt old inverter for the xserve.
Some of the images shows how I manage to fit my stuff by adding a foldable deck in the trunk. This way I can fit tons of cargo inside the Discovery.
Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Inverter and Dual Battery Setup-inverterinstalled.jpg   Inverter and Dual Battery Setup-xserveout.jpg   Inverter and Dual Battery Setup-wxserve1.jpg   Inverter and Dual Battery Setup-deckfolded.jpg   Inverter and Dual Battery Setup-deckattached.jpg