Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Vs. Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:06 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Vs. Jeep

In 1939 The U.S. Government petitioned 135 companies to design and build prototype small 4x4 vehicles to be used in the imminent war against Germany. The prototype chosen was the Bantam Reconnaissance Car. Ford and *****'s Overland joined forces with Bantam to manufacture thousands of these tiny offroaders that helped to win World War II. While in use soldiers began to call these vehicles "General Purpose" which turned into GP and slurred to Jeep.

Here is where you all come in...
Maurice Wilks, chief designer at the Rover Company, used a retired WWII tank to get about on his farm in Newborough, Anglesey UK. When his tank broke down he borrowed his neighbors *****-made GP or Jeep and was inspired to create a similar vehicle under the Rover Name, creating the Land Rover Centre Steer, an ultimate failure due to poor design.
So thats it; Land Rover is a mere copy cat of a much more heroic and successful vehicle, the Bantam-Ford-*****'s Overland Jeep!

Old 01-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Clinton Mahoney
In 1939 The U.S. Government petitioned 135 companies to design and build prototype small 4x4 vehicles to be used in the imminent war against Germany. The prototype chosen was the Bantam Reconnaissance Car. Ford and *****'s Overland joined forces with Bantam to manufacture thousands of these tiny offroaders that helped to win World War II. While in use soldiers began to call these vehicles "General Purpose" which turned into GP and slurred to Jeep.

Maurice Wilks, chief designer at the Rover Company, used a retired WWII tank to get about on his farm in Newborough, Anglesey UK. When his tank broke down he borrowed his neighbors *****-made GP or Jeep and was inspired to create a similar vehicle under the Rover Name, creating the Land Rover Centre Steer, an ultimate failure due to poor design.
So thats it; Land Rover is a mere copy cat of a much more heroic and successful vehicle, the Bantam-Ford-*****'s Overland Jeep!
Bueller? ........

Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Wow thanks you first post was very helpful!!

Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks Mahoney. If I had ****** wire tattoos, smoked a vape pen, had an STD, attended local MMA events and had a stepson that called me by my first name, a Jeep would definitely be my first choice.

Good luck with everything.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

A Land Rover is a based off the original ****** Jeep sure, but it's not just a copy cat. It's a completely different approach lol. Aluminum body panels were used due to it being available, and the original *****'s left over from the war were rusting away very quickly so Aluminum was a MUCH BETTER option.

A Land Rover is an improved/perfected ****** Jeep. Jeep's today are honestly for posers IMHO especially the 4DR JKU's. They all copy each other with Chinese Accessories to look cool vs function, they use horrible color combo's like a 3 year old would use, they slap on massive trap stamp hood decals with stupid names like "Sir Cost A Lot" or "Orange Crush".... I'm not even getting into the weak drive CV Driveshafts, weak stock axles, horrible ride, backseat which is comfy as a piece of 3/4 plywood.

I've owned both and the only Jeep I owned that was worth a darn was an 04 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. Both my 05 Rubicon & LJ's were as delicate as a carton of egg's, and I had to constantly tweak em just to keep them on the road (both with under 50K). Land Rover's are just as tough off road (actually designed to excel off road with normal street tires vs Jeep's idea of slapping on some M/T's justifies it being "Trail Rated".....)

Newer LR's aren't my thing buy anything from 1948 to the newer LR4 are fantastic off road vehicles that can run circles around a Jeep.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-15-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

these tiny offroaders that helped to win World War II
Really, could have sworn it was the Russians on the ground and (2) bombs from the air

somebody just watch an old episode of Top Gear

Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Watched this video awhile ago, great info about LR.

If the original posters in this topic, meant to get under our skin or something...with this well known, admitted information...his attempt was a major fail.

Brian.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Thanks Mahoney. If I had ****** wire tattoos, smoked a vape pen, had an STD, attended local MMA events and had a stepson that called me by my first name, a Jeep would definitely be my first choice.

Possible cannidate for troll response of the month

The following users liked this post:
Frank4 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Possible cannidate for troll response of the month

Thats ****ing hilarious!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4

Thats ****ing hilarious. And the award for roast king of the day goes to frank

The following users liked this post:
Frank4 (01-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Land Rover Vs. Jeep