Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last word on Land Rover liner failures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with David A that this is old... meaning the discussion is old. It has been beaten to death in all the LR forums. The same with the 2003 oil pump issue. I think all that can be said has been said a million times over, there is nothing to add.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can go to the Thread started in the middle of December. It has much more information and 60+ posts about this same subject.

If you are interested in this subject it's been covered already. Just click on this link...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36613

or go to the "search forum" button at the top right hand side of the page and search there.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Interesting thread above. They say liners can't slip down, but nothing about them slipping UP. Mine slipped up and banged a big O in the head and cut away the fire ring in the hg. In the process it pounded part of the bottom ridge away, actually it slowly peeled the bottom away and there is a bigger ridge or lip at the bottom than on the other cylinders. All in all there was about 1/4" movement between the head at the top and the ridge at the bottom. I must add that the engine sounded like a jack hammer when running, it was very clear that something was banging away inside.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Interesting thread above. They say liners can't slip down, but nothing about them slipping UP. Mine slipped up and banged a big O in the head and cut away the fire ring in the hg. In the process it pounded part of the bottom ridge away, actually it slowly peeled the bottom away and there is a bigger ridge or lip at the bottom than on the other cylinders. All in all there was about 1/4" movement between the head at the top and the ridge at the bottom. I must add that the engine sounded like a jack hammer when running, it was very clear that something was banging away inside.
WOW!!! A quarter inch of movement!!! Do you have any idea how long it was banging around in there to get that much movement? I mean, did it tick or knock for a long time or did it happen quick and just make a ton of noise immediately? I pictured them moving about a few thou. of an inch, 1/4 inch seems outrageous... Also, was it just the one cylinder this happened to or more than one?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
My '03 developed a tick after about three days of ownership. Now... what I figured was that the people I bought it from must have just changed the oil with something like 15w-40 or 20w-50 or some lucas additive or some other kind of thick oil to cover up the tick. I ran premium fuel in it, changed the oil a few times, etc. nothing worked. I drove it with that tick for about a month or so. After the first time it ticked it got more and more frequent to the point where every time it was warmed up it ticked until I shut it off and let it cool back down.
I finished all the other work on the truck, got it running great and let my wife start driving it. I drive it once in a while but it's basically my wife's daily driver. My wife, not being used to driving the truck filled the gas the other day with regular unleaded. Realized it after doing this and asked me if it was a big deal or not. I told her no, just run it out a little and add some super it'll be fine. Before we got that far the tick stopped... just stopped. period.
Here's the deal, if I run super, two or three days later.... tick comes back.
Run regular... two or three days later tick goes away and doesn't come back until I run super again.
........Any Suggestions???
I guess this is how to get rid of that pesky tick!!!
Bad knock sensors maybe?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by disc oh no
WOW!!! A quarter inch of movement!!! Do you have any idea how long it was banging around in there to get that much movement? I mean, did it tick or knock for a long time or did it happen quick and just make a ton of noise immediately? I pictured them moving about a few thou. of an inch, 1/4 inch seems outrageous... Also, was it just the one cylinder this happened to or more than one?
I bought it like that, the PO said that the knocking started about a year before and grew louder. It was only the #3 cylinder. It would be dead quiet when cold and start knocking when it got up to operating temp. The knock was worst at idle and would quieten down as the rpms climb and there was no knock at cruising speed. I just drove it home and pulled out the engine and put another one in.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an 04 with a new block after the last one got a crack behind a liner.

Don't know how long it'll last. Doesn't matter! I drive the living hell out of that Disco every chance I get. When it goes, it goes. Throw it in the gutta', and go buy anotha'

=P

Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb or not I bought a warranty with mine 3yr 36000 on the drivetrain, got my fingers crossed for throwing a driveshaft into the tranny and a bad oil pump...

Last edited by rbr651; 01-15-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by rbr651
dumb or not i bought a warranty with mine 3yr 36000 on the drivetrain, got my fingers crossed for throwing a driveshaft into the tranny and a bad oil pump...
that's the spirit!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How much was the warranty, just out of curiousity?????

Quick Reply: The last word on Land Rover liner failures?