Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather cleaning

finally have a few nice warm days and took off my factory seat covers. much to my suprise, the driver side stuck and left this nasty residue, and started to crack the leather, the damn interior was almost perfect and thought what a smart boy i was for putting the factory made seat covers to help keep them clean now i've got this stuff. soo... any ideas on how to clean and maybe treat them?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: leather cleaning

One of the best things I have found to work is Lexol. If the seats are dirty it cleans them very nicely and it also does great protecting against cracks. But if its something that is really thick or nasty, Leather CPR is what I would use the first time!! And of course the Armor All Leather cleaner does a good job as well, and its the easiest to find!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Saddle soap your seats well, then a couple days later use Lexol conditioner one to two times a year and your seats will always look nearly new.
Mike

Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
TReK

BE CAREFUL WITH SADDLE SOAP!!!My friend used it and after a few times its seemed damaging!! But he didn't have a disco so the leather in his was different (I guess)!! Mike might be right, it could work with discos, but you might want to find out if the material is the same as other cars leather.

Go here to read about saddle soap: http://www.properautocare.com/leatmytofsad.html

Old 05-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Administrator

There is nothing in saddle soap that can hurt leather, ask any shoe shop, saddle shop or anyone that works with leather, by the way, saddle soap was designed to clean cleather.
Mike

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
TReK

My bad, maybe its just the material volvo's are made with. I guess that website is wrong!!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

I used to be a service manager with Volvo and have owned three of them, always used or suggest saddle soap them Lexol conditioner a few days later never had a problem.
What is the damage that is supposed to occur?
Mike

Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
TReK

On his there was little areas that looked dirty (more than they were before) and and seemed to cause a bunch of tiny little cracks over time. He thought it may have been because of the scrubbing aspect of saddle soap. He lives in the Mountains of NC and I recall this started happening in the Winter. So maybe the cold and Saddle soap didnt agree or something, but that is a flat out guess!!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I live in Colorado and so far I see no problems with the cold and the use of saddle soap. By the way, you put saddle soap on with a soft damp spung and don't need to scrub it.
Has he tried putting some Lexol conditioner on afterwards?
Mike

Old 05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
TReK

I'm not sure about the lexol. I'm beginning to think he did it wrong because he used some sort of brush. If you look up at my other post I put a website, the picture it shows is very similar to what he used. Maybe the stuff does work if its applied correctly HAHA!!!!

Quick Reply: leather cleaning