Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LED replacement bulbs

So, I've been looking at the idea of replacing my bulbs with LED's. Right now I'm thinking about the tail/brake lights because I have a brake light out. Before I start randomly picking out bulbs, has anyone else tried it? I did search around on here some yesterday and this morning, but didn't see any direct "this has been done" threads. I even tried looking for bulb types/numbers and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I'm thinking the tail/brake/turn signals (rear) are all 1156, right? I only plan on doing one set at a time... can get a little pricey for some decent/bright LED's. I'll more than likely go through https://www.superbrightleds.com/ to get the bulbs.

Also, I'm curious if the turn signals will flash faster if I use LED's because of the lack of load they require compared to the original bulbs. And, my main question regarding that... If they do, and I don't add resistors, and keep the flash rate fast, will that have any effects down the road? I don't see a fast flash rate as a bad thing. It would be more of an "attention getter" I would think, because it's not the normal flash rate you see everyday. Thoughts?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

A compfuser on board may go bananas with LED lights, as they put too little load on the circuits and may be interpreted as a failure. Be aware if you get weird behaviors.
I have 2 of the 4 tail lights with LEDs, and once was stopped by police that told me I had zero rear lights on. But they were on ! And let me go.

My utility trailer with LEDs does not always register to the dash indicator the trailer is connected.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I replaced all of my back lights except the turn signals with LEDs. Also the dome lights. IMHO the dome lights are too dim. The turn signal LED bulbs I got wouldn't flash because they draw too little current. All of the others work great. I bought them all on ebay. Get the CREE bulbs.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I replaced all of my back lights except the turn signals with LEDs. Also the dome lights. IMHO the dome lights are too dim. The turn signal LED bulbs I got wouldn't flash because they draw too little current. All of the others work great. I bought them all on ebay. Get the CREE bulbs.
Thanks!! I'll keep this in mind when I finally decide to switch them out. I went ahead and just used normal bulbs this time. I looked into a few LED replacements, but couldn't figure out the correct bulb size before I needed to get mine replaced. I'll keep this info handy for next time, though.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had gotten the LED Brake lights and rear turn signals from autozone, the old style LED where they all face outward. The only problem I found with them was that because the LED's were facing only out it didn't illuminate the entire housing, there was just a small red circle and the brightness difference was very small from running light to pressing on the brake. Also one of my bulbs just started flickering so I had to change them out. My blinkers blink twice as fast which I actually like being in California, people are more prone to seeing a fast bright blinker. I would say to get an LED that has them on the sides and front so it's a lot brighter. I haven't found one I want yet because a decent one is fairly pricey.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by volksrods
I had gotten the LED Brake lights and rear turn signals from autozone, the old style LED where they all face outward. The only problem I found with them was that because the LED's were facing only out it didn't illuminate the entire housing, there was just a small red circle and the brightness difference was very small from running light to pressing on the brake. Also one of my bulbs just started flickering so I had to change them out. My blinkers blink twice as fast which I actually like being in California, people are more prone to seeing a fast bright blinker. I would say to get an LED that has them on the sides and front so it's a lot brighter. I haven't found one I want yet because a decent one is fairly pricey.
Good to know... I was looking at some 360 deg LED's from superbrightled.com. They have several options for the lights, and from what I can tell, the more light/brighter light you want, the more you pay. It is hard to shell out $20-$25 per bulb in this case. That's why I went ahead and stayed with the halogen bulbs for now. But, I have a feeling I'll make the switch at some point in the future.

I agree with you on the blinkers. I don't see an issue with them blinking at the faster rate. I actually see it as a plus. With it being faster, it's different than every other car on the road, and that is what will get the attention.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's what I'm using on my truck:

Brake lights - 14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower, Red, 1156

Reverse lights - 14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower, White, 1156

CHMSL - 7 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower, Red, 1156

Fender mount turn signal repeaters, and amber parking lights - 7 Watt Osram, Amber

Glove box, dome lights, and license plate lights - SYLVANIA 6418 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1)

City Lights (the one in the headlight housings) - SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1)

None of these bulbs are especially cheap, but they last a long time, and do a spectacular job of lighting the housing they're in.

On the brake and reverse lights:

You could probably go with the much brighter 50 and 80 Watt Eagle Eye SMT Towers, but they weren't released when I initially ordered my LED's. According to the vendor, their draw isn't actually 50w or 80w, but they're enormously bright.

Also, you have to match the color of the LED with the color of the lens it will be sitting behind. Red LED behind a red lens, amber LED behind a amber lens, and so on. Faiure to adhere to this will result is some odd colors being presented when the LED illuminates.

The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
Charlie_V (06-16-2015), dgi 07 (11-30-2015), jwigum (06-17-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Winching
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-inside-68482/

be careful on the rear bulbs, mine weirded out on me and made the parking lights stop working.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Are there no regulations on flash rate and brightness of bulbs?

If you get rear ended and the culprit spots that you have non standard bulbs they might have a case against you.

I see some vehicles with smoked out brake lenses, like tints. Seems quite illogical to me that does.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Are there no regulations on flash rate and brightness of bulbs?

If you get rear ended and the culprit spots that you have non standard bulbs they might have a case against you.

I see some vehicles with smoked out brake lenses, like tints. Seems quite illogical to me that does.
the only time this would matter is when it ices over- led's do not produce alot of heat like their counterparts.

Quick Reply: LED replacement bulbs