Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lets talk about lifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Winching
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default lets talk about lifting

From the research i have done, i want a two inch lift with HD front and rear springs, in the front i have a bortoff winch bumper thats getting a winch and the rear will soon get a metal bumper and a on board air setup.

if i am doing 2 inches i should be fine, 3+ parts need to be swapped. (is this correct)

i am doing longer ss brake lines for safety either way.

now what kit would best suffice? i have seen many vendors carrying them but as far as i can tell some settle lower than advertised and some fail sooner than later.

Again, than ks for the help- i would rather hear experiences from those whom have already bought kits and broken parts so that i can minimize my part breaking while off road.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, this is by no means a criticism of what you intend doing or others have done but just my understanding/misunderstanding of the reasons for lifting a vehicle. What I cannot get my head around is that one spends a fortune on springs, shock absorbers, brake hoses etc to go offroading when the real limiting factor is the differential and axle et al clearance from the ground or whatever. Yes, it's good to tuck the bodywork, engine sump and transmission higher away from potential damage but one is still stuck with the major limiting factor of the axle height. In my observations the only way to begin to overcome this is to increase the centreline height of the axle with either a combination of larger diameter wheels and tyres. Obviously the limiting factor being the ultimate rolling tyre diameter vs rubbing bodywork etc which again creates another issue with wheel offsets etc. Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising I am fishing for info and knowledge and pursuing logic to find out 'why'?. I run a D2 TD5 stocker on 19" LR wheels on tarmac but rarely offroad as it's mostly a workhorse tug for towing etc. In my world jacking up the bodywork height would increase the CofG and affect stability on the tarmac but is that not an issue?

Having said all of this I do run an old Pajero with offroad Enduro tires but more or less as stock as it has superb electronic shockers that can be changed from soft/medium/hard settings on a button and runs like a train................well most of the time............

Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The entire point of a lift is to get clearance for tires, and by clearance I don't just mean fitting on pavement, but under flex. I don't think anyone would argue that.

While this WILL change your Center of Gravity - With proper suspension it should minimize the 'waggle' you'll get in off camber situations.

I'm an avid offroader - The stability my Rover has on steep inclines is fantastic. I can put the seats damn near horizontal on an incline and still feel good about it, where previous Jeeps, etc really get unnerving with their short wheelbase...

My truck currently has a 3" lift, quite sagged. It's got 32's and my main issue I currently suffer is being high centered. This is where the lift will also come into play.

For example, 2 weekends ago:

You'll notice in the center pic - I was just a touch stuck. Ever so slightly - but enough so that a couple of guys had to give my truck a few bounces to get traction enough to pull over the edge. 33's and 1" more of lift I wouldn't have even touched there.

Dave

Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Winching

Whit the three inch lift what modifications had to be done? some say brake lines other say watch the axle shafts or replace them.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Axle shafts are unrelated to lifts. ABS lines, brake lines, and watts should all be addressed at 3".

Old 04-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

fwiw. that hd tf prosport (i think, that is what they call it)lift got me between a 2-2 1/4" lift with my semi outfitted princess truck. so it was good with components.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you go 3 inches; you may also have to do something about chamber.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you go 3 inches; you may also have to do something about chamber.
Nope. Camber is not adjustable on these vehicles. Castor should be accounted for, or not. Depends what you're comfortable with.

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Axle shafts are unrelated to lifts. ABS lines, brake lines, and watts should all be addressed at 3".
Yes and no. Let's not forget the reason to lift a vehicle is to run larger tires. The larger the tires the more stress placed on axles and diffs. The D2 axles seem to hold up pretty well though. Watch from 1:08-1:15

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
Whit the three inch lift what modifications had to be done? some say brake lines other say watch the axle shafts or replace them.
Brake lines are a good idea regardless of lift. www.PargonPerformance.com has really good prices on extended and custom length SS lines. Zack just got some from there and I've had mine for a while.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

What I said was, "axle shafts are unrelated to lift", which meant no matter how high you lift it, there's no more stress on the shafts. Not everyone lifts for big tires, some people are just edgy!!!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dusty1
fwiw. that hd tf prosport (i think, that is what they call it)lift got me between a 2-2 1/4" lift with my semi outfitted princess truck. so it was good with components.
I have not been able to find a d2 TF kit on their site, and from what I understand d1 kits won't work.

Quick Reply: lets talk about lifting