Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LF Door: Locks but Wont Unlock w/ Remote

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF Door: Locks but Wont Unlock w/ Remote

Hi Guys,

New LR Owner here. 2003 LR Disco w/ 87 thousand miles. The driver's side front door locks with the remote, but does not unlock. I have to manually unlock it every time.

I've looked through the threads, but don't see one on this.

Any ideas/suggestions would help.

-Dustin

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Does it lock/unlock from switch on dash? If yes, I would suspect the remote. The remote and the dash switch operate the BCU, which sends signals to the IDM.

If no, I would suspect the IDM module (behind fuse panel) which controls the door "motors", by operating relays to reverse power to the motors.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Hi Guys,

New LR Owner here. 2003 LR Disco w/ 87 thousand miles. The driver's side front door locks with the remote, but does not unlock. I have to manually unlock it every time.

I've looked through the threads, but don't see one on this.

Any ideas/suggestions would help.

-Dustin
may be a worn out spring

Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the replys.

The switch on the dash does not lock or unlock the door. Also, to clarify, the remote locks the door (but only after I press the lock button twice on the remote and even then only about half the time).

hhalmi, since it is working some of the time, is it unlikely that it is a spring?

I am also unable to control the speed of my from wipers... I can either have them in flick mode or wash and wipe. I am a novice, but would this also suggest a faulty IDM module?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Wipers may be separate issue, usually the stalk switch. Have to turn wheel 90 degrees to get at the bugger and remove it. Don't have to remove wheel.

Maybe time for new battery for remote, or a whole new remote. These are very handy to have if tuck is ever immobilized and alarm triggered.... As for won't lock from inside truck with dash switch, it should. That switch triggers the BCU module, which commands the IDM to operate the lock / unlock to a group of relays. The same BCU accepts input from the wireless receiver and commands the same IDM to operate the same relays. Of course, it could be the BCU, but you won't be able to DIY the programming of that.

The BCU also controls timing on the wipers. So yes, could have a bad one, but it controls cranking the truck, and a lot of other things, so replacement is not just pop one in from eBay. It has to synch with the ECU or truck won't be cranked. Might try unplug and re-seat connectors on BCU.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-18-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having similar issues, with my drivers back door and passenger door. Also randomly my D2 takes more than a couple of turn overs to start (rest of the time it kicks over just fine). I thought it could be the starter motor but could that be the BCU?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like you need a new or good used wiper stalk. This is a high failure rate item. Also sounds like you need a new or good used driver door lock actuator. Also a high failure rate. you could try to rebuild the actuator but imo it is not worth the effort and is a total pita.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
Sounds like you need a new or good used wiper stalk. This is a high failure rate item. Also sounds like you need a new or good used driver door lock actuator. Also a high failure rate. you could try to rebuild the actuator but imo it is not worth the effort and is a total pita.
If the lock actuator goes doesn't it just stop working? If you can still lock it with the double tap on the remote wouldn't that mean that the motor is still good?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling

my guess is that the actuator is weak and is moving a little bit with the first tap and the rest of the way with the second tap. of course i am not there, but that is my guess.