Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase milage 35%??

Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase milage 35%??

There are rumors spreading that adding acetone to fuel will massively increase milage. See here:
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/
and here:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517...r_gas_mileage/
Here's a less positive review:
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

So what does our panel of experts think?

Old 04-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Increase milage 35%??

I'm certainly no expert, but it's hard to approach this without the words "snake oil" coming to mind. Wouldn't it be nice? Sure! But what's the rub? What is going to "pay" for the improved mileage? If it's so great, (and thanks for posting the not-so-thrilled reviews, too) why hasn't it been discussed in broader terms or more public venues? (Has the oil industry squashed it that much?)

Curious all the same ...

Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling

I've used Acetone and Toluene in cars for years - haven't tried it in the Disco yet.

My results have never been better than 10% improvement in mileage.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be afraid of the affects of it on the O rings of the injectors ect

Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Poppycock!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Over the last few years there has been lost of menion of using acetone with your gas and the positive results. I am a little concerned about the long term usage and the effect of on pump, injectors and possibly some seals. At one point I nearly started a few trial tank fulls, using 3 ozs. of acetone to a full tank of gas and an enginer friend of mine stopped me, his concern was that I was in Colorado at 6000 feet and he felt there may be some problem.
I think one tank full, as a one time cleaner might be pretty good, and still haven't tried it.
Mike

Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I've been using it in my JEEP for about a year now, and the only difference I've noticed, is a smoother Idle. NO difference at all in gas mileage. I so wanted this rumor to be for real, that I even found myself more carefull with the go pedal to try and get better mileage.No difference. AT ALL !!!!!! The Idle thing is for real.

BUT BEWARE: When I got my 2000 D2, I wanted to do a good thing and add acetone because of it's cleaning properties. After approx. 25 miles with the acetone, I smelled burned eggs, the service engine soon light came on. Afterreading the codes withthe OBD2 device, I found that Ihad blown the 2 aft. cat O2 sensors. Changed those and promised myself to never use it again in the Disco. I do however keep using it in the Jeep.

Darover.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:48 PM

I know fuel prices are high,but playing around with untested additives is just plain asking for trouble.I run at least a 91 octane fuel at all times,run Mobile 1 10w40 full synthetic oil with K&N oil filter,and K&N air filter,and my fuel mileage is not horrible.I mean considering my truck has an outdated pushrod V8 and the aerodynamics of an iceberg,my mileage is quite good.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm all for trying to squeeze a few more mpg out of a tankfull bit i believe the risks outweigh the pro's at this time. hopefully someone will do a thorough test on the pro's and cons of this as an additive and have concrete evidence that it can or cant help. i run the max octane i can get 93 or 91 and do regular maintenence and my mpg is not that bad really..if you were worried about mpg buy a geo tracker...there are always trade-off's and i prefer to spend a few more buckson gas and have a rover...

Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Toluene is the main ingredient in gasoline.

When I've used in in cold weather I've noticed harder morning starts.

I've also noticed the smoother idle after using it - and the first time I use it in a car the engine oil gets very dark after that tank (I assume it's cleaning carbon out and some is getting in the oil).

I'll run some in the Disco before the next oil change.

I also put ATF in my Toluene and Acetone (detergent and upper cylinder lube).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increase milage 35%??