Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Engine Noise and Vibration at high RPMs

Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't worry about the ATF flush as it does not actually loosen anything up anymore or less than motor oil. It's a waste of ATF but won't harm or clean an engine as ATF has less detergents than motor oil.

On the tick, I'm assuming your serp belt is not worn. A worn belt can do a good diesel impression. I would check your oil pressure also just to be sure.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Don't worry about the ATF flush as it does not actually loosen anything up anymore or less than motor oil. It's a waste of ATF but won't harm or clean an engine as ATF has less detergents than motor oil.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, i don't know what i am doing, which is why i am asking. I am completely stumped by the problems this engine is having, but the ATF flush did not make it any better OR WORSE. I was thrown off by the ending to your post, and i am sorry for my snappy response, but there was no need to be as rude as you were. I am looking for help, and am obviously uninformed.

If it is really that important to drop the pan and clean it, i will do so when i change the transmission oil and filter, and i will be replacing all fluids with Royal purple at the same time (but i don't have the time to do that for a few weeks). I do not have a lift, though, so is it possible to remove the pan without dropping the front axle as well?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Regardless of ATF's cleaning ability, i will drop the pan when i change all the other fluids just for good measure, as Bundu's argument does seem to make sense. Again, i guess i was just thrown off by the unneeded harshness of his response.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Back to the original question, If the noise is valve noise, it will probably need a new camshaft/lifters to correct, right?

And the vibration is probably a badly attached tq convertor, which will hopefully be corrected as soon as i can retighten the tq convertor bolts?

Any ideas what the clanking noise could be? other than just changing the oil a filter, has anyone ever had this problem before?

Thank you!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Winching

Yeah I was hoping it was a noise from outside the tranny...hmmm

Is there an inspection plate inbetween the bellhousing and the transmission you can remove to look up in there?

Sucks I do not have a rover yet. The only images I have in my head are from the jeep. I am also not that good with auto trannys troubleshoots, only manual.

I bet it all leads to that torque converter/coupling assembly. I bet it is slipping when in park and that is where the banging is from. It's like slipping barely (trying to engage) making that noise, etc. Can you toggle the shifter when it's in Park moving it slighty up and down (but still leaving it in Park) when it starts to make the noise and does it go away?

Hopefully #2 and #3 are the same.

________
Bmw M30

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Drifting

i'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but the torque convertor doesn't engage electronically, it is simply mechanically set when it is made to lock the engine to the transmission progressively up to a certain rpm. I think you are right though, that it is all coming from the torque convertor area, as that is the only part of the transmission (along with the input shaft) that is still spinning with the engine when it is in park...

I havent really tried it in neutral, as i have never had the need to leave it in neutral for a while to check, but i will try that in a minute here. The only difference between park and neutral is that there is an additional rod engaged that stops the car from moving when it is in park, and it isn't engaged in neutral.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Drifting

well, hopefully i can fix them by simply retightening the tq convertor...i REALLY hope i dont have to remove the tq covertor or plate, because that involves removing the engine...not fun! So if #2 and 3 are fixed with just that then great...but otherwise lol

Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Mudding

Not to bring up a possibly worse scenario but I once owned a v6 fiero (that was a true piece of crap) and at idle it sounded just like your truck does. It turned out to be a spun rod bearing.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Drifting

I dont have any experience with spun rod bearings, but from what i have gathered from youtube videos of it, it almost always gets louder noticeably with engine rpms, like a clackity-clackity sound. My engine can be heard at idle, but it doesn't get that clackity noise as i rev it, it just sounds like a diesel truck... it sounds like (between 1500-2500rpms under load):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aoS0uhudT0

Whereas a spun rod bearing sould like this (right?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfdOKrs6Ms

Last edited by gwhiz101; 08-17-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower Engine Noise and Vibration at high RPMs