Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed seat heater switches, lost dash lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed seat heater switches, lost dash lights. WITH FIX!!!

I hope one of you experienced D2 guys can help me with this one. I'm lost. I was putting in some switches to turn on my seat heaters. I wanted to put some universal switches because the rover ones are spendy and I like stuff that looks different...

So, here is my problem. While I was testing the wires for power, load, and ground... the power wire slipped out of my hand and went right to the ground wire and stuck together. I turned the key off quickly and got the wires apart. Everything seemed fine. Finished the switch job seat heaters work. Job done. Went to drive at night, no dash lights!!!

Warning lights still work, also heater LCD mileage LCD. The STRANGE part... The radio all lights work and when I turn on the headlights it looks like it tries to dim, but doesn't. it blinks and stays bright. Also shifter lights work when headlights are off, turn headlights on and shifter lights go away.

I've checked all fuses that I know about, under the hood, under steering wheel and under the seats. None blown. Also nothing changes when new switches are on/off or removed.

This is a 99 D2 SE. 133k three amigos and O2 SES light. (will be getting to that soon)

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED... IF YOU'D LIKE TO SKIP TO THE RESOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM OR KNOW THE WIRES TO USE TO HOOK UP AFTERMARKET SEAT HEATER SWITCHES... SCROLL DOWN TO POST #10

Last edited by DiscoBeau; 12-10-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: found a resolution to the problem
Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBeau
I've checked all fuses that I know about, under the hood, under steering wheel and under the seats. None blown. Also nothing changes when new switches are on/off or removed.
Did you also check the fusable links under the hood?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Fusable links??? Never heard of them. I can imagine what they are but have no idea where to look for them... more info would be great if possible?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Fusable links??? Never heard of them. I can imagine what they are but have no idea where to look for them... more info would be great if possible?
They appear to be LARGER fuses. They are located right next to the fuses in the box under the hood. They are marked FL on the left.

Attached Thumbnails Installed seat heater switches, lost dash lights.-fuses.jpg  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Oh those.... yes I inspected those as well. All look fine and not blown.

The thing that I'm not understanding is that the radio lights all work and don't dim when the headlight switch is turned on... and the shifter lights go out when headlights are on too.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing that I'm not understanding is that the radio lights all work and don't dim when the headlight switch is turned on... and the shifter lights go out when headlights are on too.
I actually discovered this weekend I have the same issue after installing regular rocker switches for my heated seats. The seats work perfect and I rarely drive the 99 at night so I hadn't realized there was an issue.

I'm away from mine now for a couple weeks so I can't try anything just yet,but I think I have an idea where the problem lies.

There are two grounds(or what I thought were two grounds) on each switch and I just wrapped them together. I have a feeling they need to be separated. The oem seat heater switches come on with your headlights (would be lit up with everything else that's currently not working).

I'm no electrical engineer and I'm horrible reading wire diagrams but maybe someone on here can see what wires play what role, or maybe you could pull your grounds you wrapped together (I'm assuming you did the same as me) and do some test light investigating.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it's so confusing.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Drifting

I actually had that thought go through my head but then I told myself that a ground is a ground and should be the same thing. (I did put both grounds to the same connector. Also a funny thing is your thread about using aftermarket switches is what made me go ahead and do mine. Funny we have the same problem) I will try using just one ground tomorrow and see what happens. I really really hope its that easy. I'm glad I have my Torque app right now. Only way to see any gauges at night. I will get back to you about the ground wires tomorrow. Thank you for the brainstorm.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about that man. I'll be updating that thread when I get it all sorted out. Like I had said I rarely drive mine at night so I thought it was all good until the other night.

I thought it may be something else like a bad headlight switch, but being you're having the same issue I'm sure it's the "double ground" situation. Sorry again for leading ya astray!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Oh, no no no!!! Madlands, you have no fault in this. I was going to do it anyway. When I found your thread, all I was looking for was if you "had" to use rover switches. (like if they were specialty switches with resistors in them or something) The switches I have are much better looking. Small sleek with tiny blue LED's. But good news to you also. You were correct!!! I cut the ground wires off and bam... Dash Lights!!!!! I haven't figured out witch one to use yet. I worked late today and it is dark and way toooooo cold to fiddle with it tonight. I'll figure it out when I get a little sunlight tomorrow... Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Drifting
Default Fixed !!!!

Ok... so it was driving me nuts to wait til tomorrow, so I bundled up and figured out the right wires to use. The extra ground for the rover switches must be for switch illumination when interior illumination is powered (running/headlights on). The wires I used now are...

Power= GREEN
Load= BLUE
Ground= BLACK (ground not used is RED)

The strange thing... (yes another one) I tested both wires on the switch. It seems that you can use either ground and the switch plus dash lights work fine, but if you use both... no dash lights. I used the black wire for my ground because red seemed a strange color for a ground.

Thanks again!!! I'm sure I will have another thread up soon.

Last edited by DiscoBeau; 12-10-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: color coding...

Quick Reply: Installed seat heater switches, lost dash lights.