Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 vs. LR4 0-60mph times

Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LR3 vs. LR4 0-60mph times

Hello, LR Brethren

I announced a while ago that I'd be getting rid of our 2000 D2, giving my wife my 2004 D2, and getting an LR3.

Well, I've recently expanded my options to include something a bit more enticing, and I think I'm gunna pull the trigger in February:

I'm going to put an order in for a new 2012 LR4. ShaBOOM. Owning a vehicle from day one has always been a desire I've had. And, the timing is right for me.

I have yet to test-drive even an LR3, and I will still be driving both, but I can only assume the LR4 will feel better. My only concerns...

The LR4 has a more powerful 5.0L v8 vs. the 4.4L v8 of the LR3. That's 375HP vs. 300HP. And yet, the one review site I've found that compares the two vehicles says this:

The 0-60 time for the LR3 is listed as 7.5 seconds... and the LR4 is 9.1 seconds.

This seems like a BIG difference, especially considering the LR4 is actually 100lbs lighter than the LR3.

Do any of you have any input?

Thanks guys,

Pat

Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How many speeds are the 2 transmissions?
Usually more gears means quicker 0-60 times.

A few things to consider, the LR4 can only be serviced by the dealer, thats means oil changes too.
They say every 15,000 miles but do not go that long, BMW had a big problem with these extended oil drain intervals and they were buying engines for people because they sludged up and piston rings stuck and the engines smoked like a chimney fire.

And just a fun thing to throw in, because I can, I pulled a LR4 out of a snow berm during the blizzard we had last February.
He high centered on a snow pile while driving from a plowed street to another plowed street, the city snow plow left a berm at the end of the street, he got stuck.
Used the Terrain Response to raise the truck but with the Continental Contact Touring tires it was not going to move on its own no matter what.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Gearing could be completely different. Are you sure about your numbers?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those numbers may be reversed as I know for a fact the LR4 is definitely not 9.1 and is in the 7.5 range. Cant speak for the LR3 though.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Disco2Fever, I hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Pat --

0-60 on the LR4 is in the 6s. It's faster than you'd ever need a 2+ ton truck to be.

Have you sat in the LR3/LR4 yet? My wife and I were looking to move to a newer LR and felt that the LR3/LR4 have been "American-sized." Where the Disco is cozy (just-right) we both find there's too much room in the LR3/LR4 seats. I was so bummed, since the test drive was the final step in placing my order (like you), but 5 minutes into the test drive I turned around, gave the keys to the sales rep and said I liked my '03 Disco better.

If you don't mind the bigger seats, though - there's lots to love!

RedAustinIX

Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Pat --

0-60 on the LR4 is in the 6s. It's faster than you'd ever need a 2+ ton truck to be.

Have you sat in the LR3/LR4 yet? My wife and I were looking to move to a newer LR and felt that the LR3/LR4 have been "American-sized." Where the Disco is cozy (just-right) we both find there's too much room in the LR3/LR4 seats. I was so bummed, since the test drive was the final step in placing my order (like you), but 5 minutes into the test drive I turned around, gave the keys to the sales rep and said I liked my '03 Disco better.

If you don't mind the bigger seats, though - there's lots to love!

RedAustinIX
I hear ya. I was looking at a 2008 LR3 and decided it was just too big and much for me. The D2 just fit better. Don't get me wrong I really liked the LR3, especially all the space in the back but I liked the utilitarian feel of the d2.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the LR3/LR4 have been "American-sized." Where the Disco is cozy (just-right)
I agree. I like the LR3, but cars these days have become HUGE. It is almost disgusting how large trucks and suvs have become. I’ve been driving around in my old XJ8 and I feel tiny compared to the massive ford, dodge, and gm trucks marching around. Granted I live where trucks are plentiful, but even “cars” are getting big. I noticed myself looking up to a Chevy Malibu… The other day I moved my friend’s dodge truck for them, and felt like I was driving an aircraft carrier! Sorry, just a rant, but STILL!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have yet to drive the LR4, I have driven the LR3 and I was at the dealer launch for the LR3 and LR4 and the LR4 is WAY complicated, even the instrument cluster is a computer screen, no actual needles.
That would be cool if you could buy a program to change the gauges to soot your mood, like a Series gauge cluster for the days you are in flannel and jean and a upscale neat and clean gauge cluster for when you are in a suit and tie.
All the camera's...no thanks.
Locking diffs from the factory is a nice touch though.
And the 19" rims...

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is like comparing 0-60 times of a panzer and a sherman tank.

WHO CARES!!!

these are not road racing or drag cars. they are trucks. you should care about ground clearances and hauling abilities. not the speed or quickness of a otherwise slow moving vehicle.

its a land rover. not a lamborghini.

with your LR4 ever see dirt or mud? please say yes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LR3 vs. LR4 0-60mph times