Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M & S flashing, will they ever stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you tried what RicketyTick suggested? To me this sounds like a great place to start. For one, it will only cost you a little bit of time to clean up the cable connections which is a good idea anyway. Also, he's speaking from experience with the same problem you are having.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nabilhijjawi
I also noticed just tonight, that when the M&S lights are flashing, the gear selector on the dashboard stays on 'D' irrespective of the gear position, I tried '3', '2', and '1', expecting to see the gear selected on the dash, but it was showing 'D' only. Does that a better indicator that it might be the XYZ switch?
This is probably your transmission going into limp home mode. It is going to lock into 2nd gear and ignore the shifter from 1 to D altogether.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I think that the fact that the PRND321 indicators all illuminate correctly except when the M&S lights are flashing reduces the probability that its the XYZ.

Is there a shop anywhere reasonably close to you that could simply read the trans codes for you? Again, I recognize you are in East Africa. If not just go ahead and rebuild the XYZ to either confirm or eliminate it as the source of the problem.
This morning the car started and shifted between all gears PRND321 indicators illuminated normally drove few meters in the garage back and forth) until the M&S lights started flashing, it was stuck on 'D' in the dashboard whenever shifting to 3,2,and 1, but 'R' and 'P' showed normally. I left the car running for few minutes, the engine/rpm rough up a bit, down a bit, up again a bit, and then normal revs. Last night it did the same thing roughing up, and down while idling, and then stalled and engine switched off. I have already ordered the XYZ Switch, delivery next week, I will post an update.

My mechanic can read the codes using his testbook, but will need to tow the car there, I don't feel comfortable driving it for 35km on limp mode to get there, will tow it when I get the switch, and hopefully all gets sorted.

I wrote to a South African mechanic who is know to do magic to the LRs he gets, and suggested that I take a look at a grey cable coming out of the Engine ECU, from that cable comes out a white and yellow cable, and apparently at times they untangle, and tried to locate the Engine ECU (Probably he meant ECM), but I couldn't. According to him if the yellow and white cables untangle, they can cause the M & S flashing. Any idea?

Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

C'est la vie

Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mln01
Transmission fault codes and warning lamp indications are listed in a table on pages 616-617 of RAVE. It would be best, of course, to get the transmission codes read, but unless you or someone near you has a TestBook, Autologic, Nanocom or something similar you are out of luck to do that. I realize you said you are in East Africa. Inexpensive code readers don't read transmission codes.

It's been a while, latest update on M&S lights flashing: I connected the car to a Hawkeye diagnostics as recommended and got a P1884 (35) CAN message (Engine speed Invalid intermittent).

And from the Engine Data from the HawkEye, I got Fault 108 continuous power supply interruption minimum value.

When I got this Fault 108, I thought of checking Live Data from the HawkEye and got (what I think is) a not so good voltage from the battery, when car started it read 13.7v, few minutes later got a lower 13.6v, until almost an hour later the diagnostics device was reading a mere 13.3v-13.4v without any load, when I stressed the battery with all the load I have seen hit a voltage of 13.1v.

What is a critical voltage for the gear box that can trigger the M&S lights.

Can the above help in a diagnosis?

Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by nabilhijjawi
It's been a while, latest update on M&S lights flashing: I connected the car to a Hawkeye diagnostics as recommended and got a P1884 (35) CAN message (Engine speed Invalid intermittent).
Can the above help in a diagnosis?
Yes, I think so. It tells us the problem is not the XYZ switch.

This problem is now well outside my expertise, such as that is. Happily for most of us the ZF transmissions are apparently nearly bulletproof, at least given the traffic in the forum.

I nonetheless did a (very) quick search of RAVE using the term "engine speed" but came up with nothing relevant. That said it seems to me that the next question should be how does the EAT box get its engine speed signal. That I do not know, nor could I find the answer readily (i.e. quickly) in RAVE.

Could it be a pin or receptacle in a connector that needs to be cleaned? Perhaps. I had an SRS fault recently that turned out to be a mysterious short inside the SRS connector.

It can be very frustrating that RAVE does not include troubleshooting content. It describes operation of all the components and systems but leaves us to deduce the causes of the problems. Doing so is not difficult in many cases but in this case there appears to be a missing link.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would have a look at the cam and crank signals. Make sure they're consistent especially when the engine runs rough and the code sets. Maybe one of them is bad or shorting out intermittently?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 AM
4wd Low
Default M&S lights have finally stopped flashing

Originally Posted by drowssap
Well your alternator is charging which is good. An autostore will do a real load test on your battrey for free, with the hope of selling a new one. That leave a bad ground or xyz switch. I dont know if it will work, but run a temp. ground from the battery to the engine see if that stop the m&s.

Latest update on my dilemma, M&S lights have finally stopped flashing.

To cut a long story short, the issue was with one of the 18mm spacers on my CPS, got to that conclusion after eliminating the battery/earthing, alternator, and XYZ switch options, I have started looking outside that triangle, until I was almost certain it was CPS spacers related.

I have to admit that the following two hints have helped me immensely with my conclusion:

Took CPS and spacers out, and BINGO, there they were, one spacer was original and one was not (why not? another very long story), replaced with original, put things back, and I have not seen them for 5 days.
Thank you all for the efforts,

Attached Thumbnails M & S flashing, will they ever stop?-cps-18mm-spacers.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
drowssap (01-06-2016)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

What a conundrum, Congratulations on the fix!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Glad you found it

Quick Reply: M & S flashing, will they ever stop?