Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My high mileage service..

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick

Nice work! at the rate your going you'll have a new truck in no time.
Only got sunroof leak to look at and 3 Amigos to fix. Oh, and seafoam treatment. But im waiting til the neighbours are out to do that. Its a quiet street!

I was going to do the roof this weekend, but the Mrs has other plans. Something about 'spending time with her'.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
I was going to do the roof this weekend, but the Mrs has other plans. Something about 'spending time with her'.
It's a trick, don't fall for it!

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Yeah that stuff smells almost a good as fish heads and rice.

On the t-stats:

I have three old ones and one grey 180 and all of them have PA66 GF 30 molded into the plastic. One has the numbers molded into the side and the others have them molded into the top.

I know two of these are 180, one is an allmakes (I assume motorad) and the other 180 is the genuine gray one.

So I guess they use the same numbers on all of them?

I do know your temps were more like a 180 than a 190.

Nice work! at the rate your going you'll have a new truck in no time.
Update on my temps after swapping from whatever the browny looking thing is to the nice grey LR tstat.

I was getting a solid 188-194. Wouldnt budge between these two numbers, once hot.

Now im getting 188-197/199. This is with the genuine LR Grey thermostat.

I think the reason for the very slight rise in temps is mechanic error. When i 'flushed' the system with water, i dont think I got all of the water out again. Si may have a different mix to 50/50 I was taking the bottom rad hose off and hose piping through the filler bottle and top rad hose.

Is there a better way to do it? I never did find the block drain bolts.

Is it feasible to run the engine for a couple of seconds with an open hose to pump out the old coolant. Refill, run, pump etc. Or is that stupid?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

just pull the lower hose

it you did find them you probably would be able to get them out,
they are 3/8 steel plugs that have been in your block since day 1.

if your that worried about getting all the water out, stick a leave blower in the upper hose.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-21-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You temps don't seem that high to me 188-197/199 is about normal for me with grey 180.

I never fool with those plugs either. Scared the may snap off or pull the threads out with them.

I just drain it at the bottom hose, flush it with a water hose, and then pour distilled water through the block to try to get the hose water out.

Then if you put it back together and fill it with 50/50 it's really no longer a true 50/50 mix since there will be some water still in the block.
Nobody has said exactly how much stays in there.

I always buy straight coolant and mix with distilled water a little more like 60/40 coolant/water hoping it will get closer to 50/50 once mixed with the distilled water in the block.

No way to get it exact even if buy premixed 50/50 it will not be exact due to the water in the block.

I guess you could pour the 50/50 through the block to get the hose water out but that would be kinda wasteful....and expensive.

I also flush the rad with a hose and then pour a little distilled water through there. If I happen to have the radiator out doing other work, I lay it flat and fill it with vinegar and let it sit for a few days, however I've never really got anything more to come out of a radiator than just vinegar and water really. I'm always expect to see large chunks of white lime and such but never do.
I've always heard the vinegar dissolves deposits in the radiator and have did this on other radiators too but, don't know if it does anything special?

Anyway..... you didn't ask for all that... just thought I'd throw it out there....some things to think about next time you drain it.

Main thing for you right now is keep bleeding, with the tank raised and the bleeder screw out, a few times till you are sure all of the air is out.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-21-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Cheers guys. I'm happy with the temps. Although I'll cry just a little if i ever see 200.

Glad to know I didn't do anything crazy incorrect. Keeping an eye on things.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup
Cheers guys. I'm happy with the temps. Although I'll cry just a little if i ever see 200.

Glad to know I didn't do anything crazy incorrect. Keeping an eye on things.
I normally see over 200 after I switch the engine off and leave the key on to look at the ultragage.... not pretty!