Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Swap a Transfer case, few pointers please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

For sake of discussion let's say that the shaft or spline that protrudes from the trans is 6" long.

In order to get the transfer case mated to the trans, you need to jack up the T case 6.5" away from the trans at a perfectly horizontal position then slide the jack/t case towards the trans to get the shaft/spline to line up and enter the ring gear inside the t case. If you go at an angle it will not go into the gear. That is why they suggest to fab a bracket that bolts onto the t case and allows you to control it better.

But, if you remove the gear inside the t case, you can get the shaft inserted at an angle, then straighten up and bolt to the trans. After they are mated you then insert the gear from the rear of the T case onto the shaft of the trans.

Last edited by abran; 08-14-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Might I suggest you find a t/case with CDL, 99,2000,2001. By doing that if you engage it you will have much better traction.
2X's
This is the way I would go.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
For sake of discussion let's say that the shaft or spline that protrudes from the trans is 6" long.

In order to get the transfer case mated to the trans, you need to jack up the T case 6.5" away from the trans at a perfectly horizontal position then slide the jack/t case towards the trans to get the shaft/spline to line up and enter the ring gear inside the t case. If you go at an angle it will not go into the gear. That is why they suggest to fab a bracket that bolts onto the t case and allows you to control it better.

But, if you remove the gear inside the t case, you can get the shaft inserted at an angle, then straighten up and bolt to the trans. After they are mated you then insert the gear from the rear of the T case onto the shaft of the trans.

Gotcha. In other words I am not yet screwed. Thanks for the explanation!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

ATl, where are you located?

Old 08-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the replies and information, it's much appreciated.

I, and the Disco are in Phoenix AZ, current temp 117F thank you very much...

Couple updates:

1) T-case is from a 2001, NOT a 2002, and has the CDL. Woohoo!

2) Was able to get it home for $280.00 - I feel that's pretty fair.

After looking at the donor T-case, and all your replies, I feel much, much better about tackling this, and the advice @abran and @CharlieV gave will help a lot with this.

@discomike, as always, thank you for your input - went back to seller to pick it up, and confirm year, was able to see donor truck and confirm 2001MY.

@offroad france - thanks for the tip on the jig for the jack - should make life easier for me.

@antichrist - many, many thanks for the letters in red.

Will be tackling this starting tomorrow, its too hot to think outside, even in the shade. I'm going to power wash tonight at dusk and then gather tools for the morning. 117 is prime Netflix watching weather in the dark with the AC on.

Also - I learned today that a Landy T-case fits nicely in the trunk of a diesel Mercedes. Thought you all might want to know that.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the replies and information, it's much appreciated.

I, and the Disco are in Phoenix AZ, current temp 117F thank you very much...
ok, wasn't sure if the ATL stood for Atlanta. If it did I was going to offer the loan of my transmission jack and LT230 adapter.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling

When I entered Rover-world, I was in Atlanta. Lived there for 7 years, mostly in Virginia Highlands and morningside.

Then I discovered "no humidity"....so I left.

But it is a wonderful city, as long as you stay inside 285.

Your offer is a generous one regardless. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Baja

Thanks for the thanks.

To clarify, the first 6 months of 2001 was locking, last 6 was not. Shoot a photo of the top of the case and we can confirm its locking.

Also, you are going to hate me for saying it, but you should really seal the entire case before installing. Most t cases leak, and it would be a shame to install to only find you should have sealed it. I bought an Allmakes kit, but it was missing the o ring that goes on the end of the center shaft. The best deal I found was on eBay from an Australian vendor that confirmed their kit has the o ring.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling

@abran - easier to seal it now than in the truck.....

Got a link to this seal kit?

Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Baja

Can't give a real link from my phone, but here it is... And the buts keep coming, the seller is away until the 18th. I like this kit because it has the input and output seals for the driveshaft flanges and the seal at the trans.

I would call lucky8 and see if they can compete on the price and have them sell you the missing o ring from their kit. Erik knows.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Gasket-and-seal-set-for-Land-Rover-Transfer-case-LT230-/121636970155?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Quick Reply: Need to Swap a Transfer case, few pointers please...