Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 03 HSE7 very happy, few Q's

Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 03 HSE7 very happy, few Q's

Well its been one week and so far so good. I recently bought an Certified Pre-Owned 03 Disco HSE7 as a replacement to my ole 93 Toyota Land Cruiser a very faithful truck; until the mileage passed 250000, still got $3000 out of her.
I have wanted a Disco for a long time and finally brought one home, as I said its an 03 HSE7,58233miles, Epsom Green with tan leather and black piping, with black floormats (changing to blackrubber) very nice truck and I cant wait to get it dirty. It is being used as my wifes daily driver but known as my weekend car.
I have been reading posts about 03's for a while now and so I kinda know what to exect, breaks, door locks and other things the tires are brand new Michelin's so I dont have to wory about that for a while but does anyone have a good suggestion as to what that replacement should be I like BFGoodrich AllTerains maybe MudTerain not sure but I have a while. What sorts of preventative maintenance should be preformed that is not general car knowledge ( I am a bit of a gear head), who do you guys like to order parts from and what are the basic upgrades that you would recomend. Thank you in advance I know how valuble forums like these are I am also on bimmerforums as I have 2 BMW's a 05 325i sedan daily driver and a 73 2002ti that is for fun only and the forums have helped with both and now I give lots of help to them as well, I hope to be able to do the same here, Thank you again.

Sean

Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New 03 HSE7 very happy, few Q's

Welcome to the forum! Just curious if you purchased or if an existing warranty came with the truck? Looks like your ready for the 60K service. Here it is spelled out nicely for you courtesy of DiscoMike. Very common for rovers to be sold near or around this sort of mileage. Enjoy the truck!

This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service the way I do it.
1 Oil filter , K&N 3001
1 Air filter
1 Transmission filter kit
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W gear oil
2 Qts of Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transsmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt if not yet replaced
2 Bottles of SeaFoam

60,000 Mile Service
Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Flush the coolant system
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both od the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the info, the truck has a Certified Pre-Owned warrenty so its covered up till 75k, it came with a wilderness racks safari rack and when the dealer put it back on they scratched the hell out of the roof and I told them to throw in the 60k service, they said ok, so that will be nice as long as they do what you say, if not I will doextra myself. Other than that is there somthings to watch for, as I said I am a bit of a gear head and notice things quickly when they start heading south but I dont know Rover noises yet. The car got a full inspection before purchacse and recieved new brake pads, rotors and fluids, and my next oil change is free as well, the Rover dealership in Orlando is owned by the BMW dealership so I actually bought it from my BMW salesman who has been selling my family cars for almost 20 years so when he told me this was a good truck I beleive him, I am trying to get the full service history as well but its a bit harder than I figured. Thanks for the tips.

Sean

Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was lucky I took mine in fora recall check when I first bought it used and the dealer was who serviced it since new, they printed out the entire history for me ...

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling

As for tires, I assume you got your Discovery HSE7 w/the stock 18 inch rims.

Almost all the people here on the forums "uprade" to 16" wheels (for play and more tire selection).

I, on the other hand,decided to stick w/my 18" and swap out the Goodyears (which only had 21K miles) for a set of 5 BF Goodrich 265 65 18 All Terrain T/A KO tires. (just this past weekend)

My main concern was the wheel clearance. I didn't want any rubbing issues. After speaking w/DiscoMike, I went ahead and purchased them.

I have to say it is smoother and a quiet ride. It's way better than the Goodyears (255 55 18).

I'm not a big off-roader- occasionally camping and treking, but no off roading. Therefore, I haven't put on a 2" inch lift like most. I wanted to still squeeze into parking garages (even w/my Saftey Devices Highlander Roof Rack).

If you plan on playing- go w/16"s wheels- you get more selection.

18"s look great too, but it cost me $251 a tire. (not including road hazard...etc)
Also, I don't have that big gap in the wheel well, but I'm fine with that.

My recommendation is to just get new tires- it's amazing how different the ride is after swapping out those Goodyears for something better.
Driving is more enjoyable all the way around...plus, it drives like a new car.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Overlanding

Right now the truck has Michelin tires on that aprear brand new but I think I am going to buy the BFGoodrich AllTerrain or MudTerrains just not sure, I live in Florida so snow is not an issue more thana few timesa year when we travel up north and my time off road is not threatening. My familyhas a big plot of land south of orlando that we shoot and camp and drive all over, mud is a plenty and although the Ole LandCruiser never got stuck I have seen more than one Yukon and Tahoe not make it through, alsoa friend in an F150 who thought he had 4WD but soon found out otherwise (funny long story- bought truck at auction) I am not worried about the Disco but I do want to get some knobbier rubber and have always had good luck with the BFG AllTerrain