Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shadetree Mechanic Question - Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shadetree Mechanic Question - Belt Squeal

Hi - my first foray into DIY repair on my 99 Disco II went great. Couple weeks ago - all new rad hoses, water pump, t-stat, serp belt. The RAVE and posts here were invaluable. Great site!

I just had my second shadetree session yesterday, as it's around 80 degrees for a couple days here in SC. Replaced MAF and air intake between MAF and throttle body, and cleaned TB plus did the fun Seafoam induction. All fine - MAF/O2 codes cleared.

Proceeded to change oil and filter - removed the small splash guard under the radiator to seat the new filter (longer K&N 3001), since it's hard to get the longer guy seated with the guard in the way. I've read a lot of posts saying 'just throw that thing away'. I did, but it's easily retrievable.

Next few starts after the oil change - I'm getting the awful squeal at crank, which goes away after not too long. Did I possibly introduce moisture to the crankshaft pulley that may be causing this? Easy enough to put it back on to answer my own question - just wanted to get some other input...to see if anybody else ran into that after discarding the guard.

I'll try the 'put a hose to your ear to try to narrow the sound emission down' trick. I'm almost positive it's not the alternator or A/C pulley (squeal happens with nothing in the car running at start - no climate control on, or even radio). Thanks in advance - and thanks to everyone for contributing to this site - there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Jay in SC

Old 12-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

All the pulleys turn even if devices are not on. A clutch engages the AC compressor, but the pulley is always turning. You may have gotten oil on the belt.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
7th Gear
Default Ahh -

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
All the pulleys turn even if devices are not on. A clutch engages the AC compressor, but the pulley is always turning. You may have gotten oil on the belt.
Gotcha - thank you. I apologize for the uneducated description - I guess I meant that I didn't think it was the alternator over-revving or anything because of some major draw for power inside the cabin.

So, if I got a little oil on the belt, can I assume that will just work itself out, or should I try to just get back under there and clean some. Also - should I even mess with putting that little splash guard back on? I don't think I've ever seen a post on here with someone saying that they actually put it back on - just always 'pitch that thing, you don't need it'.

Thanks again SB.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It will work itself out unless really soaked. Or oil leak continues. I have a D1, so I am un-guarded.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM
7th Gear

Cool - thanks again! Have a great Holiday -