Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise that sounds like radio feed back, but its not.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default noise that sounds like radio feed back, but its not.

or maybe a power steering pump wine, but hard to say as it sounds loudest on the passenger side of the engine bay and not the driver side where the ACE and power steering pump are located. i started to notice the sound a few weeks ago and been driving it daily still. going out of town tomorrow but just wanted to brain storm with you all while away so i can return with a few ideas to tackle the problem. the reservoir for the ACE and PS is at a good level. no leaks, im wondering if its an idler pulley or the tensioner pulley. sins those are the only things on the passenger side of the motor.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

If heard at idle you can remove belt. If it goes away rotate each pulley by hand and feel for failing bearings.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a spray bottle full of water and spray the belt on the ribbed side as it goes into the tensioner where you think the noise is coming from. If the noise intensifies, it means there's not enough tension on the belt and hence you need to replace the tensioner.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Rock Crawling

it does make the noise at idle as well as when i rev the motor up the RPM range.

so its safe to run the engine for a few seconds with out the belt on and no fan? will it i guess throw a warning light on the dash ill have to clear with the Nanocom?

ill have to try the spray bottle method when i return.

when i turn the steering wheel i hear no addition noises and from what i understood, if the PS pump was failing it would make addition noise as the wheels are turned. is this correct?

there is a kit i think form British Atlantic for like $80 that has the idler pulley and tensioner. its probably time to change those out and get a new belt and the heavy duty fan clutch.

The following users liked this post:
Joe! (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 03:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

so its safe to run the engine for a few seconds with out the belt on and no fan? will it i guess throw a warning light on the dash ill have to clear with the Nanocom?
No reason to run without belt to rotate pulleys by hand. No warning lights would be set or need clearing if you did and a few seconds without belt would be safe. You can run longer w/o a fan than w/o water pump.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling

well took the belt off last night and spun everything. also started the engine for a moment and no noises. so i was happy about that, all i can tell from spinning everything by hand is the tensioner pulley is whats making the noise. so going to buy the pulley kit online.

Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information

Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling

well ended up just installing an autozone tensioner pulley on today for $17. just the pulley as my tensioner arm seems to work just fine. nice and quite now . except now the service engine soon light is on. i did unplug the MAF plug when i test ran it for a moment that day. so i plugged in the nano com and cleared out the error wich was the mas air flow sensor. but the service engine soon light stayed lit. i turned the car off and back on again and re scanned for errors and nanocom came back with nothing. so why would the service engine soon light stay lit? should i unplug the battery over night? i did check to make sure i had the mas air flow plug plugged back in and i re checked it.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Guess I needed to wait longer after clearing the codes, because I parked it in the garage and got ready to go out and started it back up to back out of the garage and the SES light went out. So we are all good now . Quiet and smooth again.