Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy wheel when going left - and I'm on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Okay, can't get a new tie rod end from autozone for less than 3 days...
Some panic is starting to set in.

How about any independent parts stores in the area? I found new tie rod ends in stock here today at local entities.. didn't even call autozone. Any small local parts establishments? My vehicle was making a similar sound on curves and I was just 'diagnosed' yesterday as having bad tie rods.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay, back together. i think it's that tie rod end, so I'm ignoring it till I get home.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Okay, back together. i think it's that tie rod end, so I'm ignoring it till I get home.
That tire will be fine until you get home. I've had to put pressure on my drag link to make the stupid ball joint stay still to remove the nut. I think I used a small crowbar. When you get around to it soak some penetrating oil on the nut and threads and give it the heave ho. Safe trip!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Might be a loose hub bolt and there is play in the wheel bearings.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if its a stock TRE there will be a spot in the bottom of the stud to hold it with a torx wrench to keep it from turning.
but sound like hub going bad

Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Winching

Okay, finally following up on this.
Got a new tie rod end from Rock Auto, finally got to install it this weekend (I was waiting for the weather).

Learnt some important lessons.
I no longer think there was anything wrong with the old tie rod end, but new one is in there so can't complain.
The old one that was loose was so tight I had to buy a tie rod puller to get it out, even though it was so loose when I had it apart at the side of the road that it was popping out. So I guess, maybe just the nut had come loose? Maybe a washer had died and left some space? No clue.

I did relearn the important lesson of remembering that they are backwards threads the hard way — lost a lot of time to tightening it on when I thought I was taking it off and then having to undo my work. At, of course, a much more awkward angle.

Another eyeopener:
The Steering Dampener

When I was trying to get the new tie into the steering knuckle I found it was nearly impossible as the long end tie was sprung. Turns out the Steering Dampener was upside down and the fat end of it was putting pressure on the long end tie rod.
I think this explains some oddness I've been feeling in the steering. The more the steering is under compression, the worse this would be.
In the rave it shows the dampener with the skinny (inside) side attached to the body of the truck, but I had replaced it with a TerraFirma one a few years back. I guess it's fat end is fatter than the original?
Plus now I really look at it, the text was upside down and the plastic sheathing would have been holding water in - open end uphill, now down.

Switched it around and I think it all feels better now.
Still have to find a long left on a highway to see if I'm still hearing the noise that started it all.

Question for the group:
My steering is no longer centring correctly (things moved during the backwards threading fiasco), so obviously I need to adjust it with the… er… adjusty thing. Do I need to have the wheels off the ground to do this?
If I just leave it running will the steering wheel just move instead?

Thanks to anyone who's read this far.

Last edited by Fallstaff; 04-17-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Winching

By "adjusty thing" I clearly mean this:

Old 04-18-2016, 07:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 939 Likes on 632 Posts

Wheels off the ground is a yes. You can just use a tape measure. I believe the spec is 1/8" toed out (rear of wheels 1/8" closer than front of wheels).

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Drove 12 hours yesterday and have another 8 to do today.
Took me a while to notice but when I'm on long left hand curves I'm getting a noise from the front right that sounds like I'm on grooved pavement.
I really thought it was just pavement noise until I noticed the pattern late last night.
I think it's more pronounced when it's under power than when coasting.
I can't see anything wrong with the tire and went over it with an IR thermometer and nothing was unusually hot.

I'm thinking of finding someone to rebalance all the tires — hasn't been done in a few years and has been on the list anyway.

Any suggestions?

Am I trapped in Gettysburg?

Thanks.
Regarding your noise on left hand curves,......sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Generally a whirring or roaring sound that occurs on left handed curves would indicate a bad bearing on the rignt side as you are loading that bearing on a left handed curve.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Winching

Just for completeness — I had blown a hub. Don't get me wrong, glad to have replaced that tie rod, needed doing, but at the end of the day, the big problem was the right hub dying.

Quick Reply: Noisy wheel when going left - and I'm on the road.