Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure where to post this, so here goes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure where to post this, so here goes.

I am currently looking for a "new" Used vehicle. I currently have a 1997 Jeep TJ 6cyl, and have three kids. I do not have enough room for all of my family, plus travel gear.

I owned a 1997 Disco I, (purchased it used) ,that I sold. I had multple problems out of this vehicle. The four wheel drive "AWD" did not work, I had the motor rebuilt, due to a "knock" and multiple oil and fluid leaks fixed. But still had very little power, as in trying to pass someone, medium hills, etc. I had to replace the power steering pump, pulleys, belts, hoses. The transmission also acted very strangely. The vehicle had right at 80,000 miles one it.

Is this normal, or did I just end up with a lemon. I loved the interior, and the space for my wife and kids. I would like to get another used Disco 1 or 2, or Range Rover. But, I am very wary of them right now, due to my past experience, and reading some of the post on this board, about their problems.

I guess I just need some assurances on looking at another Land Rover product. My requirments are: Room for my family of 5, oldest is 11, youngest is 4. Room for camping equipment. Power in an engine, hills, passing, etc. Off road ability. I do not plan to attack the Moab or Tellico, but would like to be able to go most places, and snow when needed. This will also be my daily driver to work, kids at school, etc. I am not looking to spend over $10,000. for a used vehicle for my purpose.

Please give me some vehicle ideas...years of the vehicles, benifits, problems, etc. Off road capabilities. I will also be wanting to add aftermarket equipment. ie lights, roof rack, larger tires, etc

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:14 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: Not sure where to post this, so here goes.

In my experience, you got a rreeaall lemon. LandRovers will nickle and dime you, but nothing like the problems you had. The engine is an early 50's buick, so if you have problems with it, you can (A): contact your landrover dealership and pay through the nose, or (B): look for the part at autozone (or wherever) for a early 50's smallblock V8.

I have a 99 Disco I (120k miles) and 00 Disco II(80k miles), and neither are giving me any major problems. Now I did say theat they will nickle and dime you, and thats mainly in parts (brake pads etc are a little more, ebay works great here).

If you do get a DiscoII, remember to keep the oil changed as the return is not the greatest (synthetic only and a quart of oil stableizer each oil change would be good too) of and fuel injector cleaner (often, as the valves tend to hang >80k miles).

For the injector cleaner I remove the air filter and shoot the whole can directly into the intake (with the engine running and revved up a bit). This cleans everything, quickly (5 minutes tops).

Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Not sure where to post this, so here goes.

Power is not a Disco's strong point. Disco I 182hp 233 ft lbs tq
Disco II 188hp 250 ft lbs tq.

The 2003 and 2004 Disco II had the 4.6L motor and are better but more than $10k.

And yes it sounds like you got a big lemon.

If you can find a Disco I or II from a Land Rover nut that is buying a newer one its
the best way to get one other wise its a crap shot.

Most people buy a Land Rover to look cool and the first time they get a bill to fix something they
will not fix anything else until they can sell it, or only fix it to keep it going and no more. This a big part of the problem!!!

The Disco II has more features and more that goes well not right. TC/ABS/HD, air bags
The Disco I for the most part are showing there age and will be hard to find a good one.

So I think you may want more Rover than $10k will get unless you shop hard and still
you may not find what fills the needs you have.

I wish you luck and hope you find a good one.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear
Default Well, would you recomend a Range Rover then?

Well would you recommend a Range Rover? Would this be more power for me. I also have a large boat to pull, and would need more power than the Disco has to offer. What years? What are teh different features for each year model? Thanks!!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Well, would you recomend a Range Rover then?

The 1996-2002 4.6 Range Rovers put out around 225 or so HP and 245 torque is what i think i saw, but I don't remember off the top of my head. As far as the Range Rover over a Discovery, There is defenatly(sp?) more comforts in it but you said a family of 5, The Range Rover does not have a third row seat, not sure if you guys are looking for one, but in my opinion a third row seat is better as people in the back have more room

Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Overlanding

My daily driver is 2003 Disco II, my weekend warrior is a 95 YJ.....so coming from a man that intimately knows both worlds...disco II is not going to suit your needs with a family of 5. I dare say that "usable" space in the disco is not a heck of a lot more than the heep. As for leaky oil, I've learned that's just a rover thing, marking its turf! Good luck, and as for fun, I enjoy them both.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Drifting

I beg to differ about the "not enough room for a family of 5" I have two children of my own- one in a booster seat and one in a car seat - and also a grown stepson - all five of us plus dogs - go camping and offroading all the time - have never had any problem with space - that's what luggage trays and roof racks are for - mine is a 2000 Disco II - it's a daily driver for me - I love my car and would never own anything else!! Shop carefully and you will find the right one for you. We also pull a boat with ours!

Staci

Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Overlanding

Plenty of room! I have 3 kids: 7, 5, and 3. 2 are still in car seats! We load up luggage, the dog porta crate, the kids and my husband and I are off for the weekend pulling the trailer behind us. My only complaint as to space are the back doors. They are a lot smaller, narrower than some other full sized SUVs, but I can get in and out of the back with no difficulty, as can the kids. We shopped around and found a '00 Disco II w/ 53,000 for under 13K. 5 months later we are over the 60K mark and still having fun...So good luck shopping!