Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Light on intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light on intermittently

I've read about the three amigo lights comming on, but in my case only the ABS light comes on intermittenly and stays on for a while oruntil I turn off my 95 Discovery. It does it once in a while, and not all the time. Can this be dirty sensors, or bad sensors. I also feel a mushy brakepetal once in a while. Can this be air in the line. Any help wouldbe great.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: ABS Light on intermittently

How many miles you got on her? Mushy pedal could be failing brake lines (balooning out) or possibly air. If it was air, it should feel mushy all of the time. When was the last time you flushed your brakes? Might be time for a bleed/flush.

ABS light could be a dirty/ misadjustedwheel sensor. When was the last time you changed your brakes? Do they squeak?

Oh, and FYI, only D2's have the gadgets to throw the three amigo's...

Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Mudding

95's dont have the same 3 amego issues , have your dealer check codes, if the front sensors have excessive gap faults you need to have your swivel preloads checked out. also if its a high milage car just rebuild both sides now . the CV joint in the ball has the teeth the sensor counts,if things get loose the sensor gets pushed up slightly causing gap issues.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for your responses. My 95 Discovery has about 72K; garaged 12 year old with low miles. I recently had the front and rear brake pads/rotors done ~10K ago (no current squeeking). I'm not sure if the fluid was ever flushed. Like I mentioned, the ABS light comes on like it should every time you start the vehilcle and per the manual it is suppose to stay on for a short period, then automatically go off. I would say that once in a while, maybe 20% of the time it does not go off unitl the next time I restart the car, so it's not consistant.

With the mushy brake thing, it tends to also happen only once in awhile,and has done it only when I'm movingunder 5mph. Are both these items safety concerns? Thanks again. This is a great site for information.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With the ABS light on, you may not have ABS. Sucks in the rain / snow. If the brake lines are ballooning, they could bust. Not too expensive to replace with stainless braided.

Who did your brakes, what kind did they put on ( do they put out a lot of dust?). I would take it back to them and let them fix it. Keep in mind that only a dealer or rover shop with the right scanner can read your ABS fault codes. It will tell you what is wrong. Probably just a wheel sensor.

Ask whoever did your brakes if they did a flush, and if they are reputable, have them do one. The mushy pedal could be a master cylinder going out. Depending on how mechanical you are, you may just want to find a local Rover shop and have them check everything out. If they find something wrong that the other shop did, you may be able to get something back from them.