Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Navigation Discs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

this is a newer and revised unit made by becker. i was hoping the discs from it would be compatible with the original but if not perhaps this could replace the original and still retain oem looks?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent a couple weeks after we picked up our disco II trying to find those disks. I finally got them on the phone, they are very specific as far as what will work on your system. then we got down to the brass tacks, the moneys! price was stupid high.. don't remember the exact $$ but it was a "OH HELL NAW!!" Something like $400.00 to $500.00

Old 06-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Rock Crawling

i believe i could probably find a newer becker unit with updated discs for $400-500 instead of discs alone. the problem is would one of these trafficpro or indianapolis devices be plug and play or would some wiring need to be done to get them to work?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling

After a great deal of research and speaking with many different vendors and the manufacturer of the system I was able to purchase a set of East/West Navigation update discs. v20. It is the ONLY update and the most current. The system was discontinued by Becker and they moved on to other platforms. They believe some newer discs may work but I would have to purchase and there is no refund. It would be a trial and error situation at about $225 a shot so I decided to purchase what they have confirmed will work. I will report back if anyone else is interested on what exactly is updated and if it is worthwhile.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
After a great deal of research and speaking with many different vendors and the manufacturer of the system I was able to purchase a set of East/West Navigation update discs. v20. It is the ONLY update and the most current. The system was discontinued by Becker and they moved on to other platforms. They believe some newer discs may work but I would have to purchase and there is no refund. It would be a trial and error situation at about $225 a shot so I decided to purchase what they have confirmed will work. I will report back if anyone else is interested on what exactly is updated and if it is worthwhile.
That is excellent info iconoclast. I have a 2003 D2 which has a Becker satnav/cd autochanger/radio which I have no intention of changing or modernising so I would be very interested in a later satnav disc. I believe mine was changed originally by the main agents in the UK from a 2002 to a 2003 version (although I don't know which version it is) which is very much out of date now. Please would you post the V20 year and also the contact details of the disc supplier you have sourced. I am interested in the UK & Europe version for my truck. Many thanks.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling

No worries. Oddly enough the EU version is more common than the NAR/US. I do not know why.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Just your use Google maps. You dont need to know your destination address(just the name) from your phone. Car navigation is history, unless its text to talk.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Just your use Google maps. You dont need to know your destination address(just the name) from your phone. Car navigation is history, unless its text to talk.
I, like iconoclast, prefer to have the Becker unit working well, it does exactly what I need, satnav, CD player and radio I don't do MP3/4, incar cellphones, smart phones etc. I don't use smart phones at all, I have no use for them, I have many other satnavs available to use but it's preferable for me to use the inbuilt Becker unit already installed and working. I'm a dinosaur you see

Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bosshogt
As stated before i have no desire to use my phone and I prefer oem units and car navigation is far from history. In my other vehicles the navigation is far more impressive and better than phone options.

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I, like iconoclast, prefer to have the Becker unit working well, it does exactly what I need, satnav, CD player and radio I don't do MP3/4, incar cellphones, smart phones etc. I don't use smart phones at all, I have no use for them, I have many other satnavs available to use but it's preferable for me to use the inbuilt Becker unit already installed and working. I'm a dinosaur you see
hahaha... i would love to have my startac back and ditch all smartphones but sadly they will not allow me to activate it on the networks here in the US but that being said the oem unit does exactly what i want it to do when i want it to do it. the only problem is a lot of the rural areas have changed a great deal since 2002 and i just would like something a bit more current with the new roads.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Out of 5 different discs 2 function properly. The other three are for other Becker TrafficPro units. The firmware update improved search times and processing by a moderate almost unnoticeable increment but any improvement is good. Satellite count went from 6 to 8 on the same road as before update. Audio settings were lost but radio presets were not. If you do go through with this update you will need to re-calibrate the navigation by driving a couple of miles. If done correctly the system should default to the main menu screen.

The discs have many more POI and most important (for me) is our other place in the mountains is recognized as being on a legitimate road whereas before it did not exist. This is the major selling point for me because other roads in the area have now been added as well but most of the restaurants have changed names (but the addresses have not) or no longer exist so if you are not familiar with the area the POI update in these areas is basically useless.

Long story short, if you live in a large city like Manhattan and do not leave... there probably very little reason to get this update (but again most POI regarding lodging or restaurants will be inaccurate) however if you live, vacation or have a second home in a suburban or rural area in one then this may be for you.