Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off to see an '03....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Sounds familiar - I'm a Brit, with a 2003 D2 and a 1996 ZJ but living in Abu Dhabi!

I bought the Discovery about 4 months ago and in its early life it had a replacement engine fitted under warranty - but the recorded engine number doesn't match the 4.6L engine that it has now.

2003s aren't supposed to have a locking centre differential - but mine does, although the VIN confirms it as a 2003 model. I don't know why it has one but I suppose it may be worth your while to check, too.

In terms of working on them, the Discovery is a bit bigger, everything is a bit heavier and other than that they have a lot in common.
Ha. I also have a '96 ZJ. 4.0 It has 270k on it. The moon is closer than that.

But its getting to the point where it will break soon in an expensive way. Ive always fancied a Disco. And its good to read/hear they are fairly fun and simple to work on. Was going to go for a Range Rover, but I feel I would get extra stung after a while.

Worked in AD for a couple of weeks. It rained! Funny watching here be absolutely no plan in place for water being on the ground. Everything flooded. There are no drains. Tiling runs the wrong way etc. Fantastic place though.

Cheers. Invaluable to hear from someone in exactly the same position i am!!

Old 09-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Thanks for the fantastic replies. Im getting the hint about checking the codes.

Great tips on looking for the HG.

So, here is the listing. 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 SE7 Vienna Green, Dual AC, No dents Seems the guy is throwing in one of the best code readers/scanners there is. Bearmach (Hawkeye).

He also says the 'heads' were done at 70k. With a full engine rebuild under original warranty.

The cosmetic stuff, door, headliner, im not bothered about. Great write ups here about doing the headliner! Want to heck there isnt a more serious issue why the door doesn't close well.

Can I trust his code reader?
Make sure the truck is run around the block for 10-20 miles in your presence 'cos they might have just cleared the codes before you arrive. The Bearmach Hawkeye is good and can show virtually everything on all the ECU's. Never trust what the vendor tells you and thoroughly checkout the service history with the previous owners and the LR dealer and also ensure ALL the recalls have been attended to. Lastly, never pay the asking price, so kick off with an offer 10-15% below and watch their eyes very carefully. At $5K it's reasonable but better at $4.5K

By the way, my TD5 ES7 export is Vienna Green.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, i've been royally messed about. The seller is now claiming he has had so much interest he might raise the price and has took it off the market until next week.

I'm sure that's illegal in terms of buying/selling.

Not that I can do anything about it.

More fish in the sea. Another one tomorrow. Less miles. Way over priced, but the dude says he is open to offers.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advise, dont buy an NYC rover unless you have a very good eye for prior paintwork/body damage/half-*** repairs.
Of course there are exceptions and this seems like it may be one. Lots of records, and they guy seems like he knows at least something about the cars. (like you can really tell over a craigslist ad). He should have no problem getting 6k from the average joe buyer. Just look at the KBB values!

I look in the north jersey/nyc craigslist all the time and havent really seen anything that looked too promising to buy lately. Take a peek in the central jersey/jersey shore/south jersey craigslist. Less "urban" cars that are generally taken care of a bit better.

If you do find one thats a little far for you to just take a look, I would be willing to do a pre-purchase inspection for a small compensation if it is in my area

Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by vette427sbc
Just look at the KBB values!

I look in the north jersey/nyc craigslist all the time and havent really seen anything that looked too promising to buy lately. Take a peek in the central jersey/jersey shore/south jersey craigslist. Less "urban" cars that are generally taken care of a bit better.

If you do find one thats a little far for you to just take a look, I would be willing to do a pre-purchase inspection for a small compensation if it is in my area
Seeing one tomorrow which is priced ridiculously at $8900. Ive mentioned the best book price for a mint HSE7 is 7200. His is Se7.

100k.

Thats a fantastic offer of doing a little inspection on my behalf. I may very well take you up on that. Many thanks.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow! That sounds like too much. You should be able to get two for that price.
Good luck but remember for that price that sucker needs to have a brand new motor, new tires, and alot more and be in immaculate condition. Looking is fun and I wouldn't buy one until I looked around at more then a few.
I wouldn't buy the one for $8900. He could come down 25% and still be too high unless it was just found in lost freight with only 5 miles on it.
Just for reference. I only paid $1K more than that for an 03 SE7 in 07 and it was perfect (at the time) and included a 2 year extended warranty.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-09-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Well, i've been royally messed about. The seller is now claiming he has had so much interest he might raise the price and has took it off the market until next week.

I'm sure that's illegal in terms of buying/selling.

Not that I can do anything about it.

More fish in the sea. Another one tomorrow. Less miles. Way over priced, but the dude says he is open to offers.

Thanks for the help.
Tell them to go take a walk, interest is one thing but hard bucks $$$$ is another, make an offer minus 10% ($4,500) and don't call them back but wait for them to call you and if they don't ............. c'est la vie there's plenty of trucks for sale anyways.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
On the west coast HG cost is more like $2400 for a full job that includes machining the heads, wires, plugs, hoses, stat, etc.

Must be a lot cheaper up in WA...I was quoted $1,500 just for an intake manifold gasket R&R.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by vette427sbc
Sent you a PM.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is the place I bought mine 3 years ago

Platinum Motor Sports Used Cars La Grange Bedford Bethlehem Used Cars La Grange 40031

Cool bunch of guys, they don't gouge you on things and also sell some parts and accessories.

Worst case you can get an idea what we are paying in KY.

Quick Reply: Off to see an '03....