Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off to see an '03....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

What he said ^^^

Plus the S model came with springs in the rear, no SLS... Also the S came with no sunroofs and 16 inch wheels standard.

the black canister is SAI... preheats air that goes into the valve covers for the first minute or so on cold start up. Works well until it starts to go bad, then it sounds like a jet taking off under the hood. Easily repaired or replaced.

Check to see if you have the cold weather package... Heated seats, mirrors, windshield.

Vienna Green has always been my favorite color.

Last edited by Dave03S; 09-20-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S

Plus the S model came with springs in the rear, no SLS... Also the S came with no sunroofs and 16 inch wheels standard.
Nice looking truck btw!

and about springs, no sunroofs, and 16" wheels, you are better off.

Some get tired of repairing their air suspension and replace with springs anyway. Your S model came with springs but, that's a good thing as you will not have to worry with air springs and pump problems.

No sunroofs is a good thing as well, they leak, get stuck,need grease, and the motors have problems... one less things to work on or worry with.

16" wheels are also a plus...tires are cheaper, have a better selection and are easier to find. They have more sidewall and you can air them down a little for better traction in some terrain so 16's are a better choice if you plan to do any off-roading.
I would trade my 18"s for 16"s in a minute.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not ! Chawton.
Sweet DII

Old 09-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
What he said ^^^

the black canister is SAI... preheats air that goes into the valve covers for the first minute or so on cold start up. Works well until it starts to go bad, then it sounds like a jet taking off under the hood. Easily repaired or replaced.

Check to see if you have the cold weather package... Heated seats, mirrors, windshield.

Vienna Green has always been my favorite color.
My SAI is noisy at start up. Turns off after a minute. I did wonder.

So, my S has two sun roofs. Defo have heated seats. Need to check on windshield.

It has rather nice running boards. And the rear guards. Seems to be a bit of a Franken-trim.

Was looking at front lamp guards to match. $$$ :-o

Old 09-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup
My SAI is noisy at start up. Turns off after a minute. I did wonder.

So, my S has two sun roofs. Defo have heated seats. Need to check on windshield.

It has rather nice running boards. And the rear guards. Seems to be a bit of a Franken-trim.

Was looking at front lamp guards to match. $$$ :-o
Maybe S models came with sunroofs on 04? I wasn't sure. Both my 03 SE and SE7 have sunroofs.

Anyway, some sunroofs leak and some don't. I've been lucky...knock on wood and all that good stuff! I never use them anyway cause they were starting to sound kinda weak and I was afraid they may get stuck open. Never really cared for em anyway... if it's hot enough for sunroofs to be opened then it's hot enough for A/C and that's all but a couple of months down my way.

Raise the hood and look in the gutter up by the windshield there will be a plug in terminal with wires on each side (drivers and passenger) I think, if the plugs are plugged in you probably have heated windshield and if not probably not.

The SAI does that...runs a minute or so when you first start it up to heat up the cats. When the pump, on the passenger firewall, gets a little older it will whine a little... or alot. Mine has been whining for years but, since it's only for a minute, I haven't fixed or replaced it.
Some repair the pump and some replace it. That is if yours is loader than normal. I didn't really notice mine when I first got the truck and then about 4 or 5 years later I started hearing it. so I guess the bearings or the complete pump needs replacing. A new one is probably pricey, if you determine it's louder than it's supposed to be and it's bugging you, then you may want to try a used one from one of the sellers with a 30 day warranty. Used ones go for cheap.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-20-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm pretty sure you could order whatever you wanted. S didn't come standard with them, but it was probably just a check box when ordered at the dealer. Send me your VIN and I can TRY to look it up and see how bit came from Land Rover.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[subtle hi-jack] so now that I am Kitty Free, I can delete that obnoxious SAI? [/subtle hi-jack]

Old 09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's a little bit of work. You'd need a computer from a non-SAI engine and the fuel pump too. Then you'd have to add some wires to the harness to plug in the pressure sensor on the non-SAI pump.

And all of the issues with replacing the computer still apply. Nanocom is recommended equipment if playing with the computers.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
It's a little bit of work. You'd need a computer from a non-SAI engine and the fuel pump too. Then you'd have to add some wires to the harness to plug in the pressure sensor on the non-SAI pump.

And all of the issues with replacing the computer still apply. Nanocom is recommended equipment if playing with the computers.
Ha. My SAI is certainly obnoxious. Howls for a minute. I may look at removing it and stripping it. See if anything is obvious.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup
Ha. My SAI is certainly obnoxious. Howls for a minute. I may look at removing it and stripping it. See if anything is obvious.
I think there's a thread or post on here somewhere about changing the bearings.