Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official coil relocate thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
The red wire adds 15BHP
They told me 20

Old 04-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
It's very important to note that not just any plug wire will fit on the coils. I tried to get some universal plugs once to make my own and they wouldn't fit.
Alex, not if I make a coil extension cord and cool bracket that's GOT to make your list! Got to!

Do you recall what the magic words are for the connectors on the coil end?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

I don't mean on the harness to coil plug, but the actual coil to spark plug wire. The boot has to be short enough to allow the plug to go down in the coil so the boot doesn't interfere with the coil itself.

No doubt though, I will definitely link it when done.

I've got no idea on the name of the connectors. I bet if you were determined you could actually buy a universal set then gut a set of rover plug wires for their ends and boots. You should be able to just slide the boot on the universal wires and re-crimp the crimped end.

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Alex, not if I make a coil extension cord and cool bracket that's GOT to make your list! Got to!

Do you recall what the magic words are for the connectors on the coil end?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I don't mean on the harness to coil plug, but the actual coil to spark plug wire. The boot has to be short enough to allow the plug to go down in the coil so the boot doesn't interfere with the coil itself.

No doubt though, I will definitely link it when done.

I've got no idea on the name of the connectors. I bet if you were determined you could actually buy a universal set then gut a set of rover plug wires for their ends and boots. You should be able to just slide the boot on the universal wires and re-crimp the crimped end.
Thanks, Alex. I am always weak on technical terms. We are talking about the same plug. I remember someone calling them "screw type connectors" but I have had no success finding that term used anywhere. I do have two sets of wires and on one of them, I did cut the boot to make them seat on the coils,. even though they were "Land Rover wires."

I'll find it.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Here's the wiring diagram for your reference. Are the two wires from each plug individually shield or shielded pair? Would assume that bare wire is just part of cable shielding. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ign.pdf (61.9 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by number9; 04-27-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I have 8mm Kingsborne wires on my rover. They were a Rover kit, and not a bulk wire custom. They click unto the coils fine once you get them lined up. The extra thickness of the wire does make it more difficult to make the crossover weave of the wires between the two coils and line up to push on.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

They click unto the coils fine once you get them lined up.
And likely much easier with relocated coils.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:32 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

I'm wondering if there are any other potential mounting locations besides the passenger firewall. My truck has ACE but I know that's not too common; I'm thinking that if I didn't have that then the A/C pump could be relocated to where the ACE pump hangs out and then you'd have a decent space on top of the front of the engine where you could put the coils on a fabricated bracket. Probably wouldn't need to mess around with custom plug wires that way.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It's great someone is attempting to change the location of the coil packs. When I recently did the coils and wires 2-3 months ago I thought about making a bracket that would just float them slightly above the intake manifold. Didn't look to much into it though. Anyone ever try just that?

Old 04-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

That was pretty much my idea about a year ago, but I decided that it would look ugly and at the time I had JUST painted my intake and valve covers.

Originally Posted by Rlozano
It's great someone is attempting to change the location of the coil packs. When I recently did the coils and wires 2-3 months ago I thought about making a bracket that would just float them slightly above the intake manifold. Didn't look to much into it though. Anyone ever try just that?

Quick Reply: Official coil relocate thread