Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The oil change situation ::..

Old 06-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The oil change situation ::..

Hello Roverers...

After having changed the Rocker Cover gaskets, and doing a pretty deep clean on the rocker themselves some 500 miles ago, I'm ready to do an oil change.

Was thinking to throw in a shot glass of kerosene, or some Seafoam before doing the change, but came across "Motor Medic" -which, by the way, does have kerosene in it- and from what I've read and seen, it seems to do a pretty good job.

The option I liked most was to drain the actual oil; pour in new oil, plus "Motor Medic" (didn't mention to change the filter at this stage, but bought a cheapo one (<$3) in case I have to; let it do its thing following the manufacturer's instructions, and drain; screw in my new Mobil 1 filter and refill with new oil. I've bought 2 jugs of Rotella, one for each step!

Would like to read your feedbacks on the matter, since I'm planning to do it tomorrow morning; truck is sitting in the garage waiting patiently for D-Day.

Thanks in advance! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-25-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I threw some Seafoam in my crankcase, drove the truck for about 30 minute then changed the oil.
The crap that came out was the blackest, sludgiest oil i've ever seen.
I can't say I noticed any difference in performance but bad or good, it definitely cleans gunk out of the engine.

Last edited by toofaroffroad; 06-26-2016 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Used Seafoam in mine. They recommend up to several hundred miles while keeping eye on/checking color of oil turning dark.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
I threw some Seafood in my crankcase, drove the truck for about 30 minute then changed the oil.
The crap that came out was the blackest, sludgiest oil i've ever seen.
I can't say I noticed any difference in performance but bad or good, it definitely cleans gunk out of the engine.
Did you use s shellfish base or just fish?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Im thinking he used some type of flaky whitefish. Be very hard to get one of the firmer types of Seafood down to the crank case. I wonder if he has noticed the crowd of seagulls flying behind him or the horde of cats sniffing his tailpipe when he stops.

mr4x4 (08-12-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Personally, when de-gunking the engine would be the last time I would use a cheapo filter. I wouldn't want all that gunk floating around in my engine. I usually dump in a little seafoam, drive it a couple days, then change it. Not on every change, but about once a year.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3502
Im thinking he used some type of flaky whitefish. Be very hard to get one of the firmer types of Seafood down to the crank case. I wonder if he has noticed the crowd of seagulls flying behind him or the horde of cats sniffing his tailpipe when he stops.
Yes, possibly a Cod.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Some folks have no sense of humor, the too far edited his post.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by abran
Did you use s shellfish base or just fish?
...saw this kind of comment coming, auto-correct is evil! ;-]#

Old 06-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Winching

Finally did it this morning and this is the outcome...

Step 1:

After running the engine for 5 minutes to get it warm, the 4300 miles old oil was drained and came out dark, and seemed thick and heavy.

Little quantity of small-sized flakes of gunk came out, as well as dust-size metal residue, these were seen on the plastic drain pan once I poured the old oil to an empty jug for later disposal.

I decided not to swap filters before moving on to Step 2; so I left the old "M1-204" in there, and will be returning the "cheapo" I bought at Walmart.

BTW, discovered that my mechanic, after changing the oil pan gasket, forgot or simply did not put back the washer on the oil drain plug, good thing I kept the previous one... anyways, another reason to keep doing what I can myself, or look for a new mechanic.

Step 2:

Poured in new "Rotella 15W-40" plus a bottle of "Motor Medic" and did as instructed, let it run stationary in idle for FIVE MINUTES and then shut it off.

Drained the oil and it also came dark -as dark as the previous one- but thinner, the same consistency as it went in.

Again, small-sized flakes of gunk came out, maybe a bit more than before -can't really tell for sure; and also dust-size metal residue; again, these were seen on the plastic drain pan once I poured the recent oil to another empty jug for later disposal.

Removed old filter, and let it drain for a while to get as much old oil out as possible.

Step 3:

Screwed in a new "M1-204" filter; Poured in new "Rotella 15W-40"; Cleaned everything up; Oil change done!

..:: STILL UNANSWERED & CONCLUSIONS ::..

If I hadn't poured the bottle of "Motor Medic", would the new oil come out as dark as it did after running for the same time? this test should be done in order to completely say that this product does the job.

Anyways, if you guys saw how my "rocker covers" and "rocker assembly" were a couple of weeks back when I venture into cleaning them up, you might had expect this oil to come as dark as it did, ...TWICE! ...hopefully I'm on the road to recovery on this matter, getting a cleaner and better engine, considering the mileage (151580).

The dust-size metal residue clearly tells that "some wear" of "some inner part" is going on, but ...which? ...precautions needed to be taken? ...I also gotta be vigilant on my next oil change for this.

Although I must change oil at closer intervals (3500 instead of 5000), I should let it run for nearly 4300 and try "Seafoam" instead, then I'll be able to compare and see which works better for me.

Now enjoy the pics below...

Color comparison...

---

Residue comparison...

---

Residue comparison...

---

Residue after 5 minute run with new oil plus "Motor Medic".

mr4x4 (08-12-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ..:: The oil change situation ::..