Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration and Harshness when moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Vibration and Harshness when moving

I have been researching a lot on vibrations and harshness when driving along in the D2. Very much overlooked items are engine mountings. Having read quite a bit on the subject and also others experiences on many websites it appears that changing 'tired' engine mounts can cure many undiagnosable vibrations and a general 'harshness' in the feel of the vehicle. Often people change the front engine mountings only and consider the rear, or gearbox mountings, irrelevant. Nothing could be further from the truth as they also can 'collapse' and fail to hold the powertrain assembly inline. I am ordering new mounts, both front and rear, and will write up about the difference it makes, if any. From what I have read it is best to fit genuine Landrover mounts and not cheap aftermarket copies as one person has said they were worse than the ones he had taken out and ended up replacing them with the genuine article. Having owned the D2 from new it has been hard to notice the gradual increase in 'harshness' and vibration which I'm sure isn't wheel bearings or transmission drive train as I've rebuilt drive shafts and checked the drive train. It'll be an interesting exercise to try and eliminate this undiagnosable general vibration which is upwards of 60 mph..

Old 12-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be great, im thinking of doing the same thing.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

one of mine suffers the same pesky vibs...I thought I narrowed to an output flange.........nope. I will appreciate the documentation of your results. mine is so very slight, but it is like that crooked painting, on the wall..............once you notice it.............

Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by dusty1
one of mine suffers the same pesky vibs...I thought I narrowed to an output flange.........nope. I will appreciate the documentation of your results. mine is so very slight, but it is like that crooked painting, on the wall..............once you notice it.............
I think you've hit it Dusty "just like a crooked painting" it's annoying but livable with. Once I get the parts from the UK and fit them I'll let you know what the outcome is otherwise we could all be wasting our time and cash. I thought the driveshaft rebuild had cured the problems until I took a trip up the autoroute at 80 mph and it still sounds/feels harsh. (just to add insult to injury, I think I ran a speed camera on the Bordeaux Rocade (freeway) as it flashed, awaiting the unwelcome letter or visit sometimes from the local gendarme - another €90 down the drain and 3 points - c'est la vie)

Old 12-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I posted a video yesterday of what mine is doing, ill be watching to see what you find.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling

My front shaft was replaced first, and it didnt fix anything, the vibration was there with the front shaft removed. I also replaced the rotoflex which had a few cracks, again no improvement. I replaced the front motor mounts, went for a drive and that probably fixed about 50-60 percent of my vibration issues, the driver side was completely seperated, and the passenger side was cracked and getting there. There was still some there vibration so i proceeded with the rear tranny and transfer mounts, i would say all but 10 percent of my vibration is gone and im gonna attribute that to my steel wheels, and tires. The transfer case/passenger side rear mount was cracked and twisted quite a bit, the transmission side didnt look as bad. Ill post some photos in a bit.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Baja

Hi, it sounds like you've chased down the majority of the vibes. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to mine as yet due to postal strikes here (national phenomena) and the weather is too cr*p for working outside even in the unheated garage. When I finally finish my engine mountings, both front and gearbox I'll post the results. Driving along the other day I realized the 'harshness' wasn't wheel balance as the vibes were not through the steering or from the rear end. Fingers crossed it's the mountings.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:43 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I was chasing vibration demons when I first bought my Disco. Vibration at high speed which is typically symptomatic of driveline issues.

Changed front drive shaft, rotoflex, alignment, wheel balanced, transmission oil, diff oil... still did not cure the issue. Finally changed the tires (which still had about 40% tread left).... and it fixed the issue. Appears the truck must been sitting quite a while before being sold to me and developed some form of flat spot.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by acg
I was chasing vibration demons when I first bought my Disco. Vibration at high speed which is typically symptomatic of driveline issues.

Changed front drive shaft, rotoflex, alignment, wheel balanced, transmission oil, diff oil... still did not cure the issue. Finally changed the tires (which still had about 40% tread left).... and it fixed the issue. Appears the truck must been sitting quite a while before being sold to me and developed some form of flat spot.
That's a good thought acg, I hadn't considered that. It has only developed since I fitted the 'new' tyres and one can never tell how old 'new' tyres really are or how they've been stored.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I replaced my tires and front shaft and neither fixed my >65mph vibration.

Quick Reply: Vibration and Harshness when moving