Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak & coolant leak

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil leak & coolant leak

changed the oil on my truck this weekend and noticed two issues. I knew about the oil leak but wanted to confirm on here that it is what I think it is and I took some pictures. I purchased an oil pan gasket a couple of weeks ago but have not installed it yet. Is this what I need for my oil leak. It looks like I have several minor little leaks at some of the bolts on the flange of the sump. I'm assuming this gasket has never been changed.

The other little problem I noticed is the throttle body heater plate is slightly leaking. Just want to make sure this is indeed my problem. I have no coolant leaking any where else and I dont need to top of my coolant, so the leak is rather small, but I'd like to take care of this asap!

Just wanted to confirm by looking at some pictures that I've attacehd that these are indeed my two culprits.

P.S. My truck does not overheat and does not leak oil on my driveway. So I'm assuming these two leaks are very minor and should be a straight forward fix.

Attached Thumbnails oil leak & coolant leak-leak2.jpg   oil leak & coolant leak-leak7.jpg   oil leak & coolant leak-leak8.jpg   oil leak & coolant leak-3.jpg   oil leak & coolant leak-leak4.jpg  

Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Rover just came out with their, 3rd., I believe, repair kit for that coolant leak. I just by-pass the t/body and joined the 2 hoses together with a piece of pipe and 2 clamps, 7 years ago, never leaked again.
As for the oil leak, not a bad leak, I would check the v/c gasket bolts, they tend to vibrate loose and leak down the engine.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply Mike. The VC bolts are tight (I tightend those a couple months ago) and I dont have any oil leaks at the top of the engine. It is VERY clean. So that's why I was assuming that the oil sump gasket needs replacing. What do you think?

Oh and on the bypass for the coolant leak, is it safe? What is the point of it going to the throttle body then? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Check and make sure the oil isn't leaking down from the head gaskets to the bottom of the engine.
If it weren't safe, I wouldn't have done it.