Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok i give up !!!!! Help !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ok i give up !!!!! Help !!!!!

ok , here go's . My cousin drove his pride and joy Lifted 2000 LR D2 from Colorado to my house in Kentucky for a visit , along the way it blew a head gasket . He nursed it 1200 miles to my house for me to look at. After looking it over good I could tell that both head gaskets had blown and it was leaking water badly . He left the truck with me and I pulled the motor . It is the 4.0 gas v-8.
I put it on the stand in the garage with the intent to replace all the seals and head gaskets. After taking the motor apart I noticed the cam was badly damage and the motor was not worth fixing . He decided that he really liked the truck and wanted it fixed ,
So he bought a new (rebuilt) LONG BLOCK from Land Rover of North America with all the mods they offered . The motor is a 4.0 bored out to the 4.6 with the top hatted cylinders .
I have completely installed the motor and its ready to go - or so you would think , I have a no start condition? The motor has a new cam sensor , new crank sensor , it also has spark on both sides of the motor and fuel at the fuel rail. I have pulled two plugs and they appear to have fuel on them? the motor turns over like it is out of time ???? is it possible that I put the flywheel on wrong and its not in time ???

ANYONE THAN CAN HELP OR HAS INFO PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
I am desperate to fix this truck and completely at a loss as to why it won't start ????

Old 10-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I thought I read either on this forum or in the RAVE manuals that the ECU remembers where the engine stopped so it knows which cylinder to fire first on start up.
It remembers by the crank position sensor counting teeth on the flexplate as I recall.
You might need to have the ECU relearn by first clearing the ECU adjustments for crank position?
That's my best guess. Hopefully someone else will post that has replaced an engine before and knows exactly whats up.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Drifting

and how do I do that ?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Here is some info to read from the RAVE that might help. Good luck.
------------------------------

Flywheel
The flywheel is bolted to a flange on the rear of the crankshaft with six bolts. A dowel on the crankshaft flange ensures
that the flywheel is correctly located. A ring gear is fitted on the outside diameter of the flywheel and seats against a
flange. The ring gear is an interference fit on the flywheel and is installed by heating the ring and cooling the flywheel.
The ring gear is a serviceable item and can be replaced if damaged or worn.
The operating face of the flywheel is machined to provide a smooth surface for the drive plate to engage on. Three
dowels and six threaded holes provide for the location and attachment of the pressure plate. The flywheel is balanced
to ensure that it does not produce vibration when rotating. A machined slot, with a series of holes within the slot, is
located on the engine side of the flywheel. The slot accommodates the tip of the crankshaft position sensor which is
used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) for engine management.

The flywheel/drive plate
carries the crankshaft position sensor reluctor ring and is dowel located and bolted to the flywheel.

The CKP sensor is located towards the rear of the engine below cylinder number 7, with its tip adjacent to the outer
circumference of the flywheel. The CKP sensor is the most important sensor on the vehicle and without its signal the
engine will not run. The signal produced by the CKP sensor allows the ECM to determine crankshaft angle and speed
of rotation. The ECM uses this information to calculate ignition timing and fuel injection timing.
The CKP sensor works as a variable reluctance sensor. It uses an electromagnet and a reluctor ring to generate a
signal. As the reluctor ring passes the tip of the CKP sensor the magnetic field produced by the sensor is cut and then
re-instated. The ECM measures the signal as an ac voltage.
The output voltage varies in proportion to engine speed. The reluctor ring has a set tooth pattern, 60 teeth are spaced
at 6° intervals and are 3° wide, two teeth are removed to provide a reference mark at 60° BTDC for number 1 cylinder.
There is no back up strategy or limp home facility if this sensor fails, the engine does not run.

The correct air gap between the tip of the CKP sensor and the passing teeth of the reluctor ring can
be set by the correct fitting of a spacer as follows:
l 9.2 mm spacer for vehicles with manual gearbox fitted.
l 18 mm spacer for vehicles with automatic gearbox fitted.
It is vital that the correct air gap is maintained, if the air gap becomes too wide the CKP signal becomes too weak,
causing possible engine misfires to occur.
The CKP sensor can fail the following ways or supply incorrect signal:
l Sensor assembly loose.
l Incorrect spacer fitted.
l Sensor open circuit.
l Sensor short circuit.
l Incorrect fitting and integrity of the sensor.
l Water ingress at sensor connector
l ECM unable to detect the software reference point.
l Ferrous contamination of crank sensor pin/reluctor
In the event of a CKP sensor signal failure any of the following symptoms may be observed:
l Engine cranks but fails to start.
l MIL remains on at all times.
l Engine misfires (CKP sensor incorrectly fitted).
l Engine runs roughly or even stalls (CKP sensor incorrectly fitted).
l Tachometer fails to work.
l Flywheel adaption reset – ferrous contamination

Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling

You might need an OBDII tester that can reset Landrover adaptations. I'm not sure but the adaptations might also get reset if power is removed for a long time?

I assume the flywheel had a dowel and went on OK.
There is suppose to be two teeth missing for the CKP to sense at 60 BTDC cylinder 1.

The CKP sensor has to be fitted just right to work. Make sure the spacers for the CKP were put back in the same order they came off.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Drifting

so the crank spacer went on the alignment pin, and the flywheel bolted on to it with four bolts, but it had no alignment pin just the bolts, ? how do I know it went on right or wrong? do I roll the motor over to top dead center and put the open tooth strait up and down ? or left and right ? cant it even be bolted on wrong ? I'm in a very bad spot and only have two or three days to fix this !!!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

The most common issue when installing the CPS is this:

The correct air gap between the tip of the CKP sensor and the passing teeth of the reluctor ring can
be set by the correct fitting of a spacer as follows:
l 9.2 mm spacer for vehicles with manual gearbox fitted.
l 18 mm spacer for vehicles with automatic gearbox fitted.
It is vital that the correct air gap is maintained, if the air gap becomes too wide the CKP signal becomes too weak,
causing possible engine misfires to occur.

However, if you are getting spark and fuel into the cylinders its not the crank sensor. How did you verify you have spark?

Are you sure about this statement?

"So he bought a new (rebuilt) LONG BLOCK from Land Rover of North America"

LandRover no longer manufacturers this engine. Was it from another source like Cannibal?

You should start simple here. You need 5 things to happen to get the engine to run: Fuel, air, ignition(spark), compression and timing. I am going to assume that since this was a long block the last two (compression and timing) are good.

Fuel: DO you hear the fuel pump come on when the key is inserted. Do you have pressure on the fuel rail? Check the sharder valve.

Air: MAF installed? Linkage installed correctly. Does the butterfly valve on the throttle body move freely?

Ignition: As mentioned above, do you have spark when you crank the engine?

Lastly are there any codes showing up?

There is also one last possibility that the alarm system has immobilized the vehicle. This can happen when the battery has been disconnected for to long or when you reconnect and the vehicle is in a different state when it wakes up. Search this forum for solutions on that.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check that you installed the CPS, then the spacers, then the nuts

Old 10-04-2014, 04:58 PM
4wd Low

Where in KY are you?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Drifting

how do I know where the ring is mounted if there is no pin ? the crank had a pin for the adapter , but I don't remember there being one for the ring gear

Quick Reply: Ok i give up !!!!! Help !!!!!