Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so screw "super lock!" ;)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok, so screw "super lock!" ;)

Left for vacation a week ago, hit the "lock" button on my 01 D2 remote a few times (activating superlock I guess) and came back on Saturday and could not get in my truck. I figured it was a dead battery, but I had 12v on the starter wire, red light blinking inside instrument cluster, so I figured that was actually not the issue. Key FOB did not work, using the key itself did not work. I ended up taking out the drivers headlight and chopping the hood latch cable in half, then pull the inner metal wire with needle nose pliers just enough to get the hood up. The alarm immediately started going off. I unhooked the negative terminal of the battery and put it back on, alarm started going again, and I disarmed it with the key FOB. Now everything is fine. That said, be careful if you activate super lock and leave for awhile. For some oddball, inconvenient reason, the stock security system does not like it when you do that, and will render your vehicle useless until you decide to chop your way into opening the hood to reset the system by disconnecting the battery! Hopefully this helps someone from a bunch of frustration....off to ebay to order a new hood latch cable now

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key in the door no worky?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I do not have my owners manual can someone explain super lock to me? And does anyone know if my 02 Range Rover has it?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Mudding

I have noticed that sometimes mine does not like to unlock with the fob if i have not opened it for a few days, but it always opens with the key. Superlock is like a secondary locking mechanism that locks the normal door locks... i think. It just makes it damn hard for someone to break in. I always use mine whenever i park some place other than my house. So far i have not had any troubles with the door not unlocking with the key, *knock on wood*.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Superlock disables the interior handles when activated.........its designed to stop a thief smashing the window and opening the door from the inside, dont ever super lock the vehicle with people in the car

Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Mudding

i thought that it did something else to the locking mechanism in the doors? but then again, like normal, be completely wrong.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have heard conflicting opinions on this, but according to the LR dealers (I called 3 of them) and based on my experience, if the car is indeed in "super lock" (which is activated by pressing "lock" on the key FOB a few times quickly) you CANNOT use the key itself to open the door manually. You have to use the key FOB. But, if a few days goes by, there key FOB sometimes won't work. That said, you have to get the hood up to get to the battery to disconnect and reset.

One thing I am going to do (besides trying to remember not to superlock when I'm out of town for a few days) - since I chopped the old hood release cable, I am leaving that hooked up and letting it sit behind the headlight, so that even when I replace it with a new one, that end is still there in case it happens again, so I can use it to open the hood again instead of having to cut another cable. Odds are, it will happen again....

Old 04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it was a pain in the ****, but glad to hear you finally got things sorted out...

Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here are my thoughts on super lock...its just a truck and you NEVER keep anything of real value inside the least secure place possible (a car) and if someone wants to steal my truck fine, insurance will buy me a new one.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Oh, and the alarm on the P-38 is notorious for being set off by the radio's at airports.
So you go on a business trip and leave your Range Rover parked at the airport and come back and you battery is dead because your alarm kept going off.