Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME vs Terrafirma Springs, Medium or Heavy weight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Here are some pics of the ride height after the bumper install (with the 255/55R18 tires).
That actually looks really good. I may actually reconsider the medium Springs after seeing that. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Medium or Heavy duty have nothing to do with the ride height of a 2" lift.

It is about the type of ride you desire, purpose of vehicle, type of driving you do.

Just don't expect it to drive like the luxury SUV that it did originally when you start adding off road components. Especially heavy duty ones.

My MD's do well at 70 on the freeway since I've had over 10k on them. at first I could feel every dimple in the surface, which is still how it is at low speed on city streets.

Granted I don't usually carry any load other than a mostly full tank of gas.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Medium or Heavy duty have nothing to do with the ride height of a 2" lift.

It is about the type of ride you desire, purpose of vehicle, type of driving you do.

Just don't expect it to drive like the luxury SUV that it did originally when you start adding off road components. Especially heavy duty ones.

My MD's do well at 70 on the freeway since I've had over 10k on them. at first I could feel every dimple in the surface, which is still how it is at low speed on city streets.

Granted I don't usually carry any load other than a mostly full tank of gas.
But it does have to do with ride height when loaded down, right? Which was my original question since I'm going to be carrying so much equipment.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are going to always have upwards of an extra 300lbs of gear loaded then go HD, otherwise the Medium will be just fine. I first started out with the OME HD front and rear. I do have the ARB front bumper, sliders and steering plate underneath. SO all is good up front. The rear however was too sprung without a min of 300lbs. I was having a hard time keeping the wheels placed on and off road. I switched to the OME medium duty and the ride was perfect, wheels where much better placed. SO, I have HD up front and Medium in the back. have never had an issue on or off road. I have on a few occasion switched back to the HD for the rear when I was traveling with a lot of gear.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jeffh
If you are going to always have upwards of an extra 300lbs of gear loaded then go HD, otherwise the Medium will be just fine. I first started out with the OME HD front and rear. I do have the ARB front bumper, sliders and steering plate underneath. SO all is good up front. The rear however was too sprung without a min of 300lbs. I was having a hard time keeping the wheels placed on and off road. I switched to the OME medium duty and the ride was perfect, wheels where much better placed. SO, I have HD up front and Medium in the back. have never had an issue on or off road. I have on a few occasion switched back to the HD for the rear when I was traveling with a lot of gear.
OK, so for me I need HD in the rear and MD in the front probably. I guess I need to weigh all my gear and really find out for sure. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this. I added MD TF springs and TF shocks and ended up with a two inch lift which is fine. I have an ARB bumper and winch up front.

The ride is very firm, firm enough to make me glad I didn't get HD. I would think HD springs might really rattle your liver.

The following users liked this post:
overlander (11-10-2019)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have OME HD front and rear with ARB bumper and winch on my 03. Way too stiff without the truck fully loaded with gear! I would NOT go HD unless you're on permanent safari or carry around gold bullion on a daily basis. On washboard dirt roads or potholes around town it'll shake your fillings out. I will more than likely switch the HD springs out soon for MD.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, it's looking like I'm going to have a constant 70-100lbs on the roof and somewhere in the ballpark of 500lbs in the rear.

I don't know how much the rear seats weigh, but I'll also have them taken out, so that isn't included in the weights I listed.

Last edited by Alex_M; 10-30-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with OME HD springs and the TF +2 shocks. Big change from the warn out stock setup but yea it was a firm ride. I carry a lot of recovery gear in the back and always seem to be hauling something.

Once you go to a mud tire the whole ride comfort goes out the window anyway. If your making it into a trail machine don't ***** foot around, just do it right the first time.

Last edited by Grumpo; 10-30-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, then I'm gonna go with the OME MD fronts and OME HD rear. Thanks for all the help, everybody!

Quick Reply: OME vs Terrafirma Springs, Medium or Heavy weight?