Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What on earth does this mean?? (Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What on earth does this mean?? (Picture)

Picture is attached. Basically, I saw that my coolant level was low, so I added coolant. I actually ended up adding a decent amount. Started the car, let the fluid run through a bit for a minute or two. Then I checked my oil. The cap was a B*#&$ to get off. And this is what I found underneath. Luckily I was only a block away from my apartment so I drove it home and there it sits.

Someone break it to me easy, please.

Attached Thumbnails What on earth does this mean?? (Picture)-oilcap.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

That you likely have roughly 16 hours of work ahead of you unfortunately.

Likely headgasket failure.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, coolant has found it's way into your oil.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to get your hopes up, but this can also mean timing cover gasket failure, which is far easier to fix than head gaskets. Did you check your oil? Check both the level, and the color/consistency. A massive coolant/oil problem is more likely the timing cover from what I have read.

After checking the oil, the first step is to get a block test kit, which is a vial of liquid you press to the top of the coolant reservoir with the truck running. It turns to a different color if exposed to exhaust gas (which would mean bad head gasket or cracked sleeve).

If it DOESN'T change color, you rent a cooling system pressure tester from Advance Auto Parts and put pressure on the system (while it's cold). While it's pressurized, you examine the timing cover gasket for leaks.

Good luck.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 12-03-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

That can happen if you are in a high humidity area and have not been driving the vehicle often. Un evaporated condensation can collect in the filler cap leaving that water in oil coating. By not often I mean both infrequently and for distances too short to fully heat the engine and coolant, which would then evaporate any condensation contained in the engine.

That being said the fact that you had to fill the expansion tank points back toward cooling system problems as mentioned above.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Unfortunately I tend to agree with the other guys on here, somehow, somewhere you have coolant entering into the oil system which ain't good and certainly won't go away. I would carry out the tests as earlier suggested and if it is confirmed as a cross contamination don't use it until whatever has caused the problem is fixed. To continue using the truck will more than likely cause you other expensive problems even the bottom end to seize in the extreme.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
That can happen if you are in a high humidity area and have not been driving the vehicle often.
I live in Oklahoma. We've had a ton of fog the past few days but that's about it in the way of moisture.

I checked the dipstick, and my oil was low (my VC's leak) but it was just dark (2k miles old) and not orange or yellow at all. I wiped all the goo out of the cap and drove it home and it didnt return. There's a little bit of gunk in the filling tube that I should probably get out too. When I took the cap off, it seemed fresh and wet.

However, there is an orange film on the inside of the cap that won't come off as easily. It seems more orange-y than it ever did before.

Thanks for your input.. I may just take it to a mechanic to have it looked at.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

When you take it to the mechanic, be sure to tell him to check the timing cover as well as the head gaskets. Especially if he isn't a Rover mechanic; he may not know about that possible problem.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it could just be condensation, but I would do a pressure test followed by a CO2 test.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You live in Oklahoma - you are lucky I would call Steve at Cannibal in Ok City as he can fix this right the first time.
Looks to me like you have a 100% normal Head gasket failure.

Quick Reply: What on earth does this mean?? (Picture)