Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Discovery II Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Discovery II Purchase

Brand new to the forums and the world of Discos. Looking to get something to use as a utility vehicle (not a DD) with the occasional off-roading trip. That being said, I've been doing some local craigslist searches and came across a 2004 Disco SE with 176k miles for $4k. I have a friend who has started coaching me on the various issues to look for with these things.

Not afraid of the maintenance although with my current situation it may be difficult to go deep hands for a few months (by deep I mean motor rebuilds). The 2004 I'm looking at has been maintained by a local Rover shop and has had no major repairs required. Only items done recently beyond normal fluid changes were brakes, radiator, plug wires.

I've been told the lack of major service can be good and bad. As in, the front drive shaft could be close to failure if still running the non-serviceable u joints. Also looks like its very rare to see the motors on these last over 150k without needing a rebuilt.

Do you think a good maintained one of these still has some time left before a major engine overhaul is required at this mileage? I'm not sure I want to drop 4k and then have the motor/tranny blow the next month. Other issues like driveshaft, leaks, etc.. I can deal with.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i would also share your fares that it have not had any type of major repair in 175k miles.

but to say "Also looks like its very rare to see the motors on these last over 150k without needing a rebuilt." IS NOT CORRECT.
It is rare to go over 150k without replacing head gaskets not a rebuild.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap
i would also share your fares that it have not had any type of major repair in 175k miles.

but to say "Also looks like its very rare to see the motors on these last over 150k without needing a rebuilt." IS NOT CORRECT.
It is rare to go over 150k without replacing head gaskets not a rebuild.
Thanks for the info on the engine. Looks like the guy has only had it for 2 years/3k miles. Bought it from a local Rover dealer. Gonna try and get some records from the dealer if possible but no feeling too good about this one without any prior history.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

180,000 is what I have heard . May be about time for Head gaskets. But you won't know till you need them. Look for slow coolant leak in the back of the engine. On the Drivers Side USA is where I have seen several of them with these symptoms. If the coolant mysteriously appears from nowhere on the back of the engine, That is probably HG's. On the Passenger side check coolant lines to heater if you see coolant .

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I have had 2 rover motors go well beyone 150k. One with 245k on it, one with 212k. Both ran fine.

The Disco II I just picked up has 145k on it and is very smooth.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Best advice for any Rover (especially one that you're not sure of and since you're new to Rovers) is: Have it thoroughly inspected by a shop that knows Discos. They can check a lot of stuff out for you ahead of time and you can give them your list to check while they're at it. I'd have them do a pressure test on the cooling system while they're at it too. If you can't find a Rover-friendly shop, any good mechanic is better than nothing...and again, give them your list of things to check too.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a utility vehicle, get a Forerunner or something, it's going to be much better than a Disco. I love my Disco to death and would rather have her than anything else, except maybe a Defender, but I still have to recognize that they are more complicated than say a jeep. If you want a landrover then by all means get a landrover but if you want a utility vehicle/ offroader then like I said there are other cheaper, more reliable, and simpler things to choose from.

If you do decide to get a Disco then...excellent choice! Welcome to the forums and I hope to see you on the trail!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I just went on the journey from being interested to driving one home.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ee-03-a-69086/

I was looking at 03-04 in the NY area. Wanted low ish miles. Wanted to be a little bit certain of its history.

One main thing I discovered is stay away from those medium sized dealers, with slimy sales guys. Even if you know your stuff and what you are looking at, they only sell heaps. And for no other reason you are wasting time.

Got a bit more money than everyone else says it's worth?
Know what to look for in terms of pitfalls? (Read here a lot)
Got time when you own it to fix it?
Can use spanners?

Go for it. I did and don't regret a $0.01

Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup

One main thing I discovered is stay away from those medium sized dealers, with slimy sales guys. Even if you know your stuff and what you are looking at, they only sell heaps. And for no other reason you are wasting time.
Truer words may never have been spoken. You can get lucky and get one but for the most part they end up with problems someone dumped. The '01 I just got was from exactly this kind of place. In the end I'm pretty lucky. The stuff they lied about has been fairly easy to fix, but has wasted a ton of my time and over $700. So my one owner, 56k mile 01 is finally in the condition I thought I was buying.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the input guys. I realize I could get something "safer" for a little bit more money but I've always been intrigued by rovers and like to get hands on. Doesn't mean I actually know what I'm doing to fix things but I like to do it anyway.

I'll be moving into a new house shortly with a large garage so if the thing breaks, it will sit in the garage until I fix it. I'm also single and don't travel for work so the only choice I'd have to make in terms of having time to work on it is do I want to work on it or go drink a beer (probably will combine those two for maximum satisfaction).

I'm pretty OCD about maintenance so I'm sure the first thing I'll do if I were to buy one is change every fluid on car immediately. Having said all that I'm now looking hard at this one:
2001 Land Rover Discovery II SE

I have a friend/rover enthusiast helping me out and will be going to inspect cars with me.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Discovery II Purchase