Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Discovery II Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"Cooling system maintenance includes new cooling fan, viscous fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, reservoir and all new cooling lines/tubing. All parts were replaced with genuine Land Rover parts. Engine work includes new heads, head gaskets, seals, lifters and springs. Again, all parts were replaced using genuine Land Rover parts."

this tells me they had a overheating problem and it took them a lot of time and money to find it and eventually ended up replacing the heads and gasket if their add is correct

Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
"Cooling system maintenance includes new cooling fan, viscous fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, reservoir and all new cooling lines/tubing. All parts were replaced with genuine Land Rover parts. Engine work includes new heads, head gaskets, seals, lifters and springs. Again, all parts were replaced using genuine Land Rover parts."

this tells me they had a overheating problem and it took them a lot of time and money to find it and eventually ended up replacing the heads and gasket if their add is correct
Yeah that was at 100k miles according to the add. Has 172k. I would think it would be a bigger flag had that been done more recently but having 72k on the motor after makes me think it should be ok in the near term?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the cooling system and engine serviced last year. Cooling system maintenance includes new cooling fan, viscous fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, reservoir and all new cooling lines/tubing. All parts were replaced with genuine Land Rover parts. Engine work includes new heads, head gaskets, seals, lifters and springs. Again, all parts were replaced using genuine Land Rover parts.

i suppose there are a lot of brand new parts that you will not have to replace

Last edited by drowssap; 10-21-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All that work on the cooling system and no mention of replacing or cleaning the radiator. That is something I would check.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
the cooling system and engine serviced last year. Cooling system maintenance includes new cooling fan, viscous fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, reservoir and all new cooling lines/tubing. All parts were replaced with genuine Land Rover parts. Engine work includes new heads, head gaskets, seals, lifters and springs. Again, all parts were replaced using genuine Land Rover parts.

i suppose there are a lot of brand new parts that you will not have to replace

... provided they are actually new genuine parts. They might be genuine salvage yard parts, ... "new" to the truck.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of things, check or have someone check the ecm for not only pending or stored codes but also monitor readiness, incomplete readiness of any monitor could indicate the dealer or owner is simply clearing code(s) when they come up to mask an issue and once the vehicle is gone and the cel lights they will claim its your issue. A good scanner will have this function. Also check engine temp in stop and go conditions with the same scanner, they should at least be below 210 and ideally below 200. Also, depending on where you are, carefully check the condition of the frame for rust, esp the rear drop in back of the axle