Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overactive Traction Control after break job and speed sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overactive Traction Control after break job and speed sensor replacement

Hi All-

New week, new post!

Over the weekend I had some new tires put on (Firestone Destination ATs) and I replaced my pads and rotors (with Akebono Ceramic Pads and EBC Rotors). In addition, I replaces the right rear speed sensor to clear the TC and HD lights on my dash (due to code 067:Rear Right sensor electric fail).

Afterwards, my dash was clear and everything was driving great until I took my Disco onto the highway. When I reach 65MPH my TC activates and the odomoeter drops to 60. In addition, it seems to be activating when I hit bumps during right turns. Once it activates, I have to release the gas pedal and wait a second for it to turn off.

I am assuming I knocked another speed sensor out of place when I did the brakes and am going to take a look at everything tonight.

Not sure if this is relevant, but when they were replacing the tires it took them about an hour to get the old tires off due to a lot of corrosion.

I would appreciate any advice or insights anyone has. I've seen a few posts with similar problems from a few years ago, but no solutions.

-Dustin

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Update: All of my speed sensors appear to be seated properly and I am still not getting any codes with the abs amigo.

Any ideas?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The only thing I can suggest would be to have the codes read as soon as the light comes on, don't turn of your engine or it will go away. Do you have access to a 3 amigo scanner?
Also if it continues, you might want to follow the Raves guide lines and test that new sensor to make sure it is good.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Just pulled the codes after the TC engaged, before turning the vehicle off... nothing.

1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults

Next step, going to flush the brakes again and adjust tire pressure to see if I can solve this. Firestone inflated the tires (Destination AT 365/60r18) to 30 and 38. I am going to go up to 40 all around and see what happens.

Thanks.

Last edited by umwolverine; 06-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Any other ideas?

I tested the new sensor and it tested within normal range.

Any other ideas?

What would cause traction control to activate on right turns and at 62.5 mph (100km)...?

I've tried adjusting tire pressure, no change. Bleed the brakes, no change. Reseated the sensor and tested it, nothing.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Ever consider checking the ring and the hub?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Ever consider checking the ring and the hub?

The hub seems fine, no play.

I am assuming you mean the O-ring on the sensor, right? That seemed a bit worn, but I could not find an exact replacement and didn't want to risk anything. Do you think that could cause these problems?

Thanks dgi

Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

You have to get someone with a real scanner. Drive the car while watching the wheel speeds. There might be metal flakes on one of the sensors making the ecu think one wheel is spinning faster, and engaging TC. Just replace the suspect hub.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
The hub seems fine, no play.

I am assuming you mean the O-ring on the sensor, right? That seemed a bit worn, but I could not find an exact replacement and didn't want to risk anything. Do you think that could cause these problems?

Thanks dgi
Nope. Takling about the ring on the hub that the sensor reads to calculate speed. If its dirty, it can do that. Also, if the hub is bent, it can do that.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update, Need Advise

Hey guys,

So I took the car into an independent shop here in Chicago and they are suggesting I replace the speed sensor (again) for about $400.

They cannot find anything wrong with the speed sensors or hubs except that when a scan tool is plugged in while driving, the rear right tire will not read above 4kph.

They said when they test the scanner it seems totally fine but that replacing it seems to be the only thing that will fix this.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Overactive Traction Control after break job and speed sensor replacement