Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0455 Purge Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

from what I've seen, nobody really talks well of the dorman part auto zone carries.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundguru
from what I've seen, nobody really talks well of the dorman part auto zone carries.
Although it does come with a lifetime warranty! I fixed mine by blowing injector cleaner through it while activating the solenoid. I have a pump sprayer set up with a pressure gauge that I filled with injector cleaner. I used to to check my injectors while I was replacing my head gaskets. I hooked the hose up to the inlet on the purge valve and pumped the tank up to 15 psi. I used leads off the battery to trigger the valve, which sent the cleaner through it. I did it a couple of times. Now that the car is back together I haven't seen the code come back. It's only been a couple of tanks so far though. Is it worth the effort given the price? Hard to say but it did work.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Did any of you guys have it go out without clearing codes? I've been dealing with this the past 2 months. Replaced the gas cap, reset the codes and it was out for close to a month. Then it came back on after a week and stayed on for a little over a week and it went off today? I don't get it. Any idea why it would come on and then go out without messing with anything? I'm not complaining - just curious. I'd rather have my 3 amigo lights disappear!

Old 10-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The code comes from the testing of the system by the computer. It adds pressure using a pump then looks for a drop in pressure. Depending on the volume of air in the system, there may be low enough levels of pressure loss to not trigger a code. I found I was getting codes when the tank was mostly empty.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
The code comes from the testing of the system by the computer. It adds pressure using a pump then looks for a drop in pressure. Depending on the volume of air in the system, there may be low enough levels of pressure loss to not trigger a code. I found I was getting codes when the tank was mostly empty.

Interesting.. I was getting low on gas the last time it came on but it went out without me clearing the codes which I thought was peculiar. And I'm low again but no light. I guess I won't worry about it until I need to worry about it. I'd rather spend the $30 -$60 on something else this week...... Hm.. now what could I buy....

Old 10-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Assist Please

Ok, I had code P0455, I replaced the gas cap AND replaced the purge valve. I replaced the purge valve with the OEM Bosch purge valve NOT the Hyundai model. I ran it about a week before the code returned (WTF).
I see no reason why the Bosch unit should not do the trick it is not an aftermarket brand.

Just so I don't go out an buy a dozen other purge valves what are some other things that I should check first for that OBDII code that could apply to our vehicles?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Check your gas cap again. Take some motor oil and put it around the cap seal like you would on a new oil filter and reset the code. If that works then your cap is defective. If that doesn't work then get a warranty replacement purge valve (I'm assuming you got a new one with a warranty). If that doesn't work, I have no idea.

Also, when you fill up your tank do you go a squeeze or two over to get an even dollar amount? I've been told that can cause gas to get in your purge valve and kill it. I dont know how much truth there is to that, but thats what I've been told.

Last edited by Alex_M; 10-24-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the purge valve is ok and the gas cap is ok then you may have a leak in the system somewhere. Might not be anything you can easily find without a smoke machine to test the system, but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the evap hoses and canister underneath the truck for any obvious problems (hoses disconnected/loose, hole in a hose, damage to the canister etc..)