Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I didn't ask about painting the manifolds. Opinions?
Ceramic Coating is the way to go on your exhaust manifolds. Now that is something that will improve your engine heat and be worth the money.

• Reduces manifold temperature by approximately 300 degrees, will withstand up to 1800 degrees.
  • Corrosion protection

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 09-03-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

You had to put hood vents in my mind...

Crazy hood vent (pic)

Also, note side vent picture further down. EDIT: later in the thread it is noted that the side vents are BEHIND the firewall. I have a word for that but I won't use it in polite company.

These hood louvers would work and there is some real thoughtful analysis and testing on the change in temps (on a jeep)--they don't have a hood blanket. Here are some more. Aluminum. Snow is not a concern where I live, but rain? Hmm. An expensive option site (makes for supercars) says:

RunCoolŽ Hood Louvers are in daily, year-round use on thousands of vehicles around the world, in all weather conditions and have been for over 10 years, and we haven’t received a single complaint about any problems caused by water getting on the engine! We even have plenty in use in Alaska, Canada, Maine, Michigan and throughout the Snow Belt – no problems!

Water coming in through our Hood Louvers doesn’t hurt your engine. After all, a number of car enthusiasts and professional fleet maintenance facilities wash their engines many times each year, with high-powered pressure-washers (to remove the oil film to avoid engine fires, and to detect oil leaks, early).

Also, remember that many classic cars, from the Model T’s through the fanciest American and European cars of the 1930’s, had Hood Louvers, and many WWI and WWII radial aircraft engines were out in the open, with little protection from rain. Today, the fastest Ferraris, Aston Martins, Mercedes, and BMW’s have them – as do many race cars. (Why? Because they work!)

Another option:

HAHA

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-03-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
That nixes it! I don't wait weeks for anything!!!! I can buy a house in weeks! I could take over a South American country in weeks!

I just called the shop and they can dip my valve covers and oil pan for nothing but my goodwill so I might just stick with that (I have extras of both). I have to go to my a machine shop and get my manifolds (four out of six studs broke. What a horror!) and it is next to a huge auto place that does engine and paint, so I'll get their input, too and post what I learn. Whoa. I didn't ask about painting the manifolds. Opinions? That's one thing I would prefer NOT to have radiating so much heat. I saw some rattle can stuff for manifolds when I was at the parts store last week...

By the way do I need to be concerned about the purple stuff on the valve side of my heads? It had something to do with seating the valves. Do I need to get that off? I'd prefer not to go near my valves but I don't know...
Ran by the shop and they said they were surprised that I didn't ask for it to be painted. I didn't KNOW TO ASK! I take with a grain of salt because they are more used to iron blocks, but the owner (50 years as an engine machinist and performance tuner) said the temperatures won't change much anyway on a water cooled engine... painted or not, any color. He is deeply and vocally disappointed in my refusal to change my valve springs for my Crower cam (based on forum advice) so he may be trying to screw me up; I don't know.

Ran by the machine shop (yes, small town, quick trips), and they had media blasted my manifolds , gotten the studs out, and checked the threads (for 20 bucks; I will never mess with a broken stud again) and they said "an unpainted manifold is like my wife without make-up." I am not SURE what that means (never seen their wives) but I infer that they liked the idea of painting them, so that is a DEFINITE since a little vinegar and water will have them ready to prime and paint. Also, they fit in the oven (if the paint requires it). Only hitch there is that vaguely recall that the oven portion produces SMOKE and my little collection of harbor freight tools in the garage does not include an oven--so if it would stink up the house I will have to go with some no bake option and hope for the best.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-03-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

When I did my head gaskets and engine modifications I painted mine black (block, intake, valve covers, left heads bare). I saw absolutely no difference in any conditions I've been in. Do it!

Name:  w7THWmA.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  966.2 KB

Name:  NVmv00A.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  109.1 KB

Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Camel Trophy

I remember seeing your beautiful intake before...

There is paint in my (near) future). What kind did you use, Alex? And what is that firewall cover in your first picture?

ROVERGUY has gotten me fixated on hood vents! 200 bucks for the good ones!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-03-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Yes sir, I love the gloss black. I cleaned and sanded the whole thing, used dupicolor engine primer, then dupicolor gloss black engine paint, then dupicolor engine clear coat.

No firewall cover, just the firewall. I think there's a factory heat shield back there somewhere, but thats it.

The hood vents are an interesting idea. I've debated on doing side vents for the same reason but just never did it. Maybe in the future. Hood vents would be interesting, but I'd be worried about water coming in them when it rains and getting the electronics and sensors wet, or the spark plugs. you'd have to place them very strategically, especially to keep them symmetrical.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Yes sir, I love the gloss black. I cleaned and sanded the whole thing, used dupicolor engine primer, then dupicolor gloss black engine paint, then dupicolor engine clear coat.

No firewall cover, just the firewall. I think there's a factory heat shield back there somewhere, but thats it.

The hood vents are an interesting idea. I've debated on doing side vents for the same reason but just never did it. Maybe in the future. Hood vents would be interesting, but I'd be worried about water coming in them when it rains and getting the electronics and sensors wet, or the spark plugs. you'd have to place them very strategically, especially to keep them symmetrical.
Okay I just read some review on VHT paints and Duplicolor and Duplicolor seems to win. I also read about some crazy expensive paint that you have to mix and blah blah. Seems like a lot of trouble.

Oh I'm all about the strategy! One of the other options I considered was this. BTW I have a spare hood so don't try this at home...

Okay I can't find it. Someone use a hole cut saw to make a nice pattern near the back of the hood. Of course that would be like a sewer drain so that's out.

Alex, I owe you a mod or five so I'll let you know what I decide, if anything. I have a few days to kill before my internal stretch bolts arrive from across the pond, so paint is on my list.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Mudding

Cheapest hood vents around guaranteed ( It looks like rain would drain right onto the coils though)
Name:  lakenatomae.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  199.2 KB

Old 09-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Mudding
Old 09-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
Cheapest hood vents around guaranteed ( It looks like rain would drain right onto the coils though)
That the one I was looking for.

And I think I have mentioned elsewhere that doing anything with the coils is my least favorite job on a rover.

Quick Reply: Paint my engine?