Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pimped my 03 to a 2004 Roof rails installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pimped my 03 to a 2004 Roof rails installation

• The other reason for doing this job, and justified the headliner removal, was to fix the leak in the driver's A-pillar. I removed the outside black trim and inside. I siliconed all around the areas. Next to windshield outside, under gutter, inside near upper corner. I even found blop of liquid nail look alike where maybe a PO tried to fix it. I chiseled that out and filled it with a lot of silicone. Then set he garden hose on a tripod got into and listed to music for about 15min. I spotted for leaks with my flashlight. I bet my neighbors think I'm super crazy @ 2:00am and spot lights and garden hose in my driveway. And I did not have anything to drink. Then another 1hr later it was all reinstalled. I even managed to Not destroy the sun visor clips. I found that Spot Shot carpet cleaner works best for removing the water stains in the headliner and other small marks. The headliner was a great condition so there was no need to paint it for now. I cant believe how light it is. It sure seems thin to scrub off the foam and material. I know its fiberglass though cause my T-shirt felt like I just insulation a 1 bedroom house. Ugg cold shower time!
  • Oh and if you are wondering how to remove the B-pillar trim(Seat belt posts) Its hard to get the headliner out with out moving these away. Start by removing the driver door (rear of door)seal and passenger door (front of door) seal. You will see 2 clips on both sides of the B-pillar. Unhook the tiny clips from the B-pillar, (leave the clips on the trim). Then use a panel popper tool to undo the top steel spring clip its in there hard and sounds terrible coming out! Then repeat to reinstall. beat it back in with your palm, its way easier going back in. make sure the seat belt up/down adjuster is aligned properly.
  • Seemed like a lot of work but. Anything is worth the aesthetic appeal right.
  • First I followed this from Hilltopperx for headboard removal - Paint DII headliner board.
  • Some pictures:
Headboard successfully removed. I got to this point in about 1.5hrs in. Nothing too difficult. Panel popper tool is a must have.

Now removed black exterior trim piece on drivers A-pillar. You must pound through the the 3 panel holders with a punch . They are hard to remove I used needle nose pliers to pull them out. That black trim piece is on there hard core. I twisted up and out with 2 nylon mini pry bars. My finger is pointing where I added silicone. Its a super b|ich to put back on. Just keep trying to pull it up over the A-pillar and over lap the bottom part a 1/4" over the windshield wiper cowling. Took me almost an hour to get right.

I filled all this up with silicone. I couldn't hurt!

Now inside I chipped away some oil pudy and added silicone. There is dual section of roof so you CANNOT see the real corner. I also added silicone around the windshield. I didn't think it was leaking there might as well cover the bases.

Now 2004 roof rails installed. Time to reassemble. headliner. About 45 mins all trim was back on.

Next morning shovel back on and ready to rock! Now have to upgrade the Kyptonite U-Lock size for shovel security!

Last edited by bosshogt; 09-17-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say those 04 rails look much better, nice score there.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'm salivating...
My wife would have my nuts though, I've kinda blown the budget for the next 10 years.