Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion gear shimming

Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion gear shimming

I have 02 disco with play on my front axle pinion gear. Its not the drive shaft. Ive rebuilt it twice over past 10 years I've owned it. Its too much lash on the pinion gear. Ive rebuilt axles before on different brand cars. I have experience. My question is does anyone know what the pinion gear shim size is roughly? I have found Atlantic British sells them but different sizes. I don't want to buy all of them if theres a standard size that is used and I can reference that to buy a thicker shim. Or maybe someone can point me to a retailer that sells a shim pack for pinions on rovers. I dont have a ton of play but I'm getting tired of hearing a clunk when I let off the gas and then go again.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Try these guys: Coil Sprung Differentials Overview Regarding shims, they are selected based on the clearance. There is no standard shim size. You will need to pull your yoke and measure what you have.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Drifting

This I was trying avoid. Wanted to do this as a weekend project and be done on sunday. I was afraid of this. Oh well. Thanks and I'll check out the guys you directed me to.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by billlapinga
I have 02 disco with play on my front axle pinion gear. Its not the drive shaft. Ive rebuilt it twice over past 10 years I've owned it. Its too much lash on the pinion gear. Ive rebuilt axles before on different brand cars. I have experience. My question is does anyone know what the pinion gear shim size is roughly? I have found Atlantic British sells them but different sizes. I don't want to buy all of them if theres a standard size that is used and I can reference that to buy a thicker shim. Or maybe someone can point me to a retailer that sells a shim pack for pinions on rovers. I dont have a ton of play but I'm getting tired of hearing a clunk when I let off the gas and then go again.
You shim the pinion according to its exact and correct run depth, you will need a selection of shims in fact if you've changed the pinion bearing. To accurately shim the diff it has to be pulled, all washed down spotlessly clean and then using engineers blue brushed onto each of the crownwheel teeth you set up the pinion shims to achieve a centralised contact patch on the crownwheel teeth. It does take some experience to get it right or you could possibly set it too deep or too shallow and it will make a whining noise. Too deep can also smash the crownwheel teeth and too shallow you will suffer too much backlash. There is a page in RAVE showing the crownwheel blueing pattern you will need to achieve. IMO it's not an amateurs job unless you know what you're doing or have worked with someone who does.

Google Ashcroft Transmissions and watch their video which is informative.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Drifting

I've rebuilt and set up a ton (literally) of GM rear ends. Can do in my sleep. The rover is like a Ford 9". Only did 1 of those. Took most of the day and some cursing. Can do a GM axle in a couple of hours. With them you can shift the carrier unit left or right to tighten or loosen the gear mesh. Just set up the pinion gear with a general size (GM is .035) shim and shift carrier to obtain proper mesh. The rover is different and was hoping someone could chime in with a quick fix. I've gone through the rave manual and was just hoping for a miracle answer but being a rover........NOPE! Thanks. Think I'm gonna buy a rebuilt unit and swap out.