Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Planning Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

So I've been going through the RAVE and I'm about to order parts to replace the valve cover gaskets. I want to make sure I have the parts I need, as well as the parts I *might* need if something fragile breaks or strips.

Right now I'm looking at
Upper Intake Manifold Gasket
2x Valve Cover Gasket
4x Short Valve Cover Bolts
4x Long Valve Cover Bolts

I saw it on the RAVE, but couldn't find it online (Rovers North), but there was an oring between the coolant rail and intake manifold? That is all that I noticed HAD to be replaced.

I debating any thermostat replacement or modification since I'll have the coolant system drained since I'm trying to limit my mod $$ to only "necessary" or very strongly recommended changes.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

this?
O RING COOLANT ELBOW DISCOVERY II/P38A RANGE ROVER 99-02, RND353, ERR7202 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

its on the lower, so you shouldn't need to mess with it, unless you know its leaking

Old 03-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Winching

I don't believe that is it. It doesn't have a picture in the RAVE.

"5. Release coolant rail from inlet manifold and discard 'O' ring."

pg 12-2-21

Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

O RING HEATER PIPE DISCOVERY II, 38A R/R, RND354, ERR6434 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

You will need this. I didn't get one ahead of time, and tried to match one up at the local parts store. Close, but no cigar resulting in coolant puddling on the intake manifold and draining off the rear of the head causing me to think that somehow my head gasket completely went out just from changing valve cover gaskets.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Most important of all 1tube black RTV.

The following users liked this post:
robert.juric (03-30-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Winching

Not off to a great start. I can't even reach bolts to get the ignition coil off the back of the intake manifold. I was hoping I would be able remove the manifold and then be able to reach the coil bolts before taking the thing entirely out.

I also am having a problem with the last bolt on the intake manifold. The one closest to the rear of the manifold. I'm afraid it's started to round...

Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
Not off to a great start. I can't even reach bolts to get the ignition coil off the back of the intake manifold. I was hoping I would be able remove the manifold and then be able to reach the coil bolts before taking the thing entirely out.

I also am having a problem with the last bolt on the intake manifold. The one closest to the rear of the manifold. I'm afraid it's started to round...
I'd be really interested if you took some photos of your job. I'm thinking of tackling this, be good to see how you get on.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 AM
Winching

I have been taking photos and will post them up when I get the intake manifold off. However I've just been following along in the RAVE, it is pretty clear. The one thing that doesn't make sense to me though is that they say to remove the ignition coils before removing the manifold. Yet most people it seems take the manifold off first to get to the coils when they are replacing the coils.

I've got to grab a bolt extractor kit today and hopefully I can finish this up tonight.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i believe there is a bolt under the coil bracket, maybe??

Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Winching

Well I got the gaskets replaced, pressure tested the coolant system, tightened a few connections and cranked it up (at 1:30am)!

This has been my first project beyond Skill Level 10 (changing the oil), it was frustrating and rewarding though. I started to take pictures of the entire process, but after a few dropped bolts and tools I had to switch to GSD mode. Drove her to work this morning and everything appears to be int working order, well at least as good an order as before I started tearing it apart.

Quick Reply: Planning Valve Cover Gasket Replacement