Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power wndow motor and regulator work until window glass is attached. Can a pwr wind motor get Weak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default power wndow motor and regulator work until window glass is attached. Can a pwr wind motor get Weak?

I have never known an electric motor that got weak with age.......they have always seemed to either work,....or not work..........or............they work until they dont.
The right front power window on my 2002 disco II has been messed with by the previous owner or a hack shop. The motor wasn't working when I bought it,...I took it apart,...and cleaned it,...and now it worked. I was a hero. put it back in the door and it went up and down like a charm........but when I attached the window to it......it moved a couple of inches and quit...then wouldnt go in either direction.
The only way I can get it to work again when it does this is to take the motor apart again.....it then will do exactly the same thing.........works perfectly until I attach the window to the regulator......then it will move a couple of inches then quit.....requiring another complete dissasembly.
I'm thinking that the motor might be binding internally somehow........
Any thoughts or suggestions??
I will be ordering a replacement used window motor from car cannibal tomorrow unless someone on this list convinces me that my motor can be salvaged somehow.
Any ideas??
Brian in Austin

Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: power wndow motor and regulator work until window glass is attached. Can a pwr wind motor get Weak?

Nope, no idea's, just a new motor.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: power wndow motor and regulator work until window glass is attached. Can a pwr wind motor get Weak?

What spike said!