Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty sure I just lost our D2

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Did your airbags deploy? If so, sorry to say, it's totaled.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure what damage has been done. I didn't really try, but I'm not sure if I can get the hood open. It was "drivable", though. The tow truck guy drove it from the middle of the intersection, to a parking lot to load it up on the truck. I didn't crawl under to look at the frame, as I was in a suit. The air bags did not deploy, so that's good. But, I'm not sure why they didn't go off. We hit pretty hard. The only fluid that was leaking was the washer fluid.

I'm hoping the other car has insurance, but from what I overheard at the scene, she had prescription pills scattered all over the car and was supposedly trying to hide a liquor bottle under the seat. I never talked to her, so I'm not sure what all is truth or not. I've got to go to the police station and get the accident report on Monday.

Once I get insurance and everything figured out, I'll decide what we're going to do with "Blackie" (that's the Rover's name). I'm keeping a slight hope that I can get it fixed and back to working order again. I think this happening did convince my wife that I should've had a big winch bumper on the front of it, though. Now, she regrets not letting me get one when I wanted it.

What really chaps my ***, this was the first day I drove it in a week. It's been out of commission as my coolant reservoir had cracked and was losing coolant. I had just replaced the reservoir the night before. But, on the other hand, it was a good thing because I would've been on my motorcycle instead. That's what I've been using while the Rover was down.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The SRS airbags should be replaced after 10 years and belt tensioners after 15 years.

Land Rover Workshop Manuals > Discovery II > GENERAL INFORMATION > SRS Component Replacement Policy

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

get your reciepts together, it a total

Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I gleaned a few gems out of your trial.

"203k miles and still runs like a top".

I just got me a daily driver so I wouldn't put any more miles on my '99. I have 127k on it and am hoping it hits at least 170k. This is good news.

Also, what condition are your seats?

She may be worth parting out on this forum if you have room at your house. Then donate her to the scrapyard when you are done..

Good luck, and let us know what you get to replace her!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Glad you are OK.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 99Discovery
I gleaned a few gems out of your trial.

"203k miles and still runs like a top".

I just got me a daily driver so I wouldn't put any more miles on my '99. I have 127k on it and am hoping it hits at least 170k. This is good news.

Also, what condition are your seats?

She may be worth parting out on this forum if you have room at your house. Then donate her to the scrapyard when you are done..

Good luck, and let us know what you get to replace her!
I've thought about parting it out. I do have a 3 car garage, so that shouldn't be too big of an issue... room wise. But, since I'm not a mechanic, I'm not sure how in depth I want to get into it and tearing it apart. There are a lot of things in it that are in very good shape. It's original owner is a friend of ours and he serviced everything at the dealership. When my wife bought it, we had a few things done at a shop, but once I found this forum, I've done most of the work to it. I still have to find out what the insurance is going to say, but the I did get the repair estimate yesterday. The repair cost was quoted at $6631 parts/labor/paint.

As long as you stay on top of maintenance, it'll go and go and go. The one time I did take it in to a shop (another friend of ours that works on LR's), he said it was the nicest running Disco he's seen. Other than changing out fluids, I haven't had to do too much to it.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just down in Texas. I may be interested in some of the items off of yours if you decide to part it out.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

I'll let you all know what I decide to do with it.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Just a quick update... Still not sure what is going to happen with the outcome. Insurance still hasn't received the police report. They did let me know they are going to total the vehicle out. Estimate was $6700 for repair.

I haven't received an offer from the insurance yet. They went down through the options list on the vehicle, then I added in the Harmon/Kardon stereo and the lift kit to their list. They are going to get back to me and update the value for me.

Quick Reply: Pretty sure I just lost our D2