Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by captain1976
The Chevy engine will actually work very well without a crank sensor...
This sounds problematic to me. The ignition and fuel systems are tied into the CKS. So the Disco's computer won't let you do this.

If I were you, I'd use a carburetor and distributor and be done with it.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
This sounds problematic to me. The ignition and fuel systems are tied into the CKS. So the Disco's computer won't let you do this.

If I were you, I'd use a carburetor and distributor and be done with it.
I don't think it will come to that however its always the option. I have a friend who has done similar stuff and I like the challenge. If there should be obstacles, the computer can be changed or programmed as I have someone who could do that also. Regardless I would like a system which I can share and is doable for others.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did the mounting of the engine go? Is there a kit?

EDIT: I see you mentioned "Mark's" in a previous post, is this what you used? http://www.marks4wd.com/bell-housing...8-engines.html

Last edited by evoblade; 08-06-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by evoblade
How did the mounting of the engine go? Is there a kit?

EDIT: I see you mentioned "Mark's" in a previous post, is this what you used? Land Rover V8 Engine Conversion Kits using the Chevy V6 & V8 Engine | Marks 4WD Adaptors

I am doing the mounting now but this takes time as I do it when I get a chance. I do tend to put in a couple hours a day but I'm in no hurry and have to travel a bit.

I was going to use Marks adapters but they require I use a Rover torque converter from an earlier model (which is shorter) and I found these almost impossible to get.

Decided to make my own adapters and the photo shows I just started to make measurements for it. I have a friend with one of those BNC computer operated machines which will take my measurements and make it (should come in a lot cheaper than MarksRV adapters.

With the distance needed to allow for the bell housing to engine adapter, I am getting that space by having the bell housing milled down (I will post all the measurement at some future date). Instead of the MarksRV crank to torque converter spacer I had one made which is just a bushing locked into the rear of the chevy crankshaft. This allows the Rover torque converter to align with.

8-12-14 Added a few more photos. Making the alignment stuff for the bellhousing. Not much of a wordworker but I have some stuff for metal and seems to work OK. Outlined the pattern for the adapter and should be able to make it in a week or so when I get back in town.

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-08-06-14a.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-08-06-14b.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-08-06-14c.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12j.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12g.jpg  

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12c.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12e.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12.jpg  

Last edited by captain1976; 08-12-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Adding more photos
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Seems like you are pretty on top of this. Keep up the good work and keep posting details. I'm seriously considering chevy power for the D2 I'm picking up!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by evoblade
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Seems like you are pretty on top of this. Keep up the good work and keep posting details. I'm seriously considering chevy power for the D2 I'm picking up!
Update 8-12-14

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12d.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-12f.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I kind of lost you here a little, so your using the land rover bell housing re-drilled and milled and not the one from Marks?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
I kind of lost you here a little, so your using the land rover bell housing re-drilled and milled and not the one from Marks?
Hello, I was originally going to use the Marks kit but decided to save the bucks by making the adapter myself. I purchased a hunk of aluminum from a metal shop and cut it out from a paper pattern I made. The land rover bell housing is now connected to the chevy engine and I will be installing it in the next few days. Here are some recent photos of the project;

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-c.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-d.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-b.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-g.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-f.jpg  

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-h.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-09-03-.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Conversion kit

Here is a guy selling the kit in CA. Don't know him and don't know anybody that has used the kit.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/4609003266.html

Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see more!! Hope you can make this work so I can do the same!

Good luck....

Quick Reply: Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II