Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator and Overheating Woes!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator and Overheating Woes!!

When my Disco's engine is cool the radiator hose collapses, and when the engine warms up the hose expands. Is this normal? I have never seen a radiator hose do this. Also, my truck started to overheat a little today on my way home from work. I was running the front a/c on high and the rear a/c on low. The temp gauge never came close to the red, just rose a little higher than normal. Then I began experiencing power loss, it almost stalled on me. I stopped at a gas station and got some gas and let the engine cool for a bit. When I got back on the highway the truck ran great. I turned off the rear air and turned down the front air and the temp gauge stayed normal. Can someone please tell me how to fix this. I had the head gaskets replaced when I bought the truck and yesterday I just replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor and rotor. I sure don't want to be replacing head gaskets again. Thanks a lot.

Drew

Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Radiator and Overheating Woes!!

The hose that goes to your expansion tank is clogged. When it is working normal...the engine cools down and the coolant "shrinks" and the empty space is filled in with air that is sucked in from the expansion tank, along with any coolant to keep the cooling system full.
So, I would first replace that hose, it will go from the expansion tank to the cooling system, just follow it from the expansion tank back towards the engine.
As far as the trk running hot, you were working it pretty hard and dumping ALOT of heat infront of the radiator, as long as it doesnt go to the red you are ok. You did the right thing by turning down the A/C.
The A/C condensor dumps the heat infront of the engines radiator, that is why turning the A/C down/off cools the engine.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info Spike. I'll start with replacing the expansion hose. Would it be beneficial to replace the thermostat also?

Drew

Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As old as your truck is, consider replacing all your hoses and the t/stat.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling

I hear ya Mike. I just put on a set of Magnecor wires and Bosch 4 plugs like you suggested and I am very pleased with the set up. Tony is a great guy and the people who work at his shop are really sharp.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Spike, I went to see what hose you were talking about. There are two hoses coming off of the expansion tank. One of them runs to the radiator, and one of them goes down and is connected to the lower radiator hose. Which do you feel is clogged. I know I need to replace them all but I want to replace the clogged one asap. Thanks.

Drew

Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if you remove the overflow tank cap when its cold, does the hose go back to normal?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would think that it is the hose that goes to the radiator.
And yes, replace your t-stat when you replace your other hoses, you will have the upper radiator hose off anyway and that is have the job of replacing the t-stat.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Roverguy, yes it goes back close to normal when I take the cap off of the overflow tank. What are your thoughts? Thanks Spike. I've never replaced a t-stat in any vehicle before. Is this a difficult job? I looked on the Rave CD and it did not look too hard.