Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receiver/hitch bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver/hitch bike rack

Does anyone have one on their DII that fits with the spare tire fitted to the truck? I recently read that these don't fit this car and now I'm stumped since my other bike rack doesn't fit well since it has to be moved all the way to the drivers side due to the spare.

Ideas?

Chris

Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Receiver/hitch bike rack

I have an XPORT Traveler 2 Hitch Rack. What you'll also need is the Traveler 2" Receiver Hitch Foot which is basically an extension to clear the spare tire. Here's their web site, http://www.performancebike.com/. The one I have can hold two bikes.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM

I have a 2004 Disco with the Thule spare tire mounted bike rack and ski rack attachment. Works very well. I have oversized tire and is a tight fit. stock tire would be no problem.

See attached photo.

Let me know if you have nay other questions.

Also, Jeep makes a 'low profile' spare tire mounted ski rack. I was going to get it instead but it's very difficult to find.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7087/8875083F2EA142A3BFDDCBC471D94C57.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Love that snow picture, where do you live?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: SpeedAgent

Does anyone have one on their DII that fits with the spare tire fitted to the truck? I recently read that these don't fit this car and now I'm stumped since my other bike rack doesn't fit well since it has to be moved all the way to the drivers side due to the spare.
I have a Yakima Kingpin 4 bike rack, and it fits perfectly. It allows you to lower the bar, and even open the back door (not all the way, but enough to get things). I just bought the Yakima HitchSki attachment, so I am covered for winter sports as well. I think the hitch mounted ski racks are a good idea if you ever need to venture inside parking garages in major metro cities. The condo bldg I live in is very low indeed, barely fits with sunroofs open.

Good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

The photo was taken at Snoqualmie Pass, WA. on Super Bowl sunday.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of a hitch extension. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Drifting

I have the Thule folding 4 bike hitch mounted carrier and it does not clear the spare tire either. I was actually drafting up an extension when I decided to see if one already existed, you could get the one Disco2Guy mentioned or google it. Hidden Hitch makes the one I ended up getting. http://www.google.com/products?q=Rec...fox-a&um=1

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Mudding

Just bought the Yakima Kingpin 4 and it fits super. One thing that is not great-you can't lower the biker carrier arm without lowering the entire rack first. Also, have you figured out a way to secure the rack with a lock of some sort?

Chris

Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have the same lock issue. The holes on the rack where the pin passes through are smaller in diameter than the locking one for the hitch. I don't have a strong enough drill bit to open the holes so I can use the factory locking pin. I do need to get some drill bits for the RTE slider install so maybe I'll get one that is the size for the hitch too. I don't see it being too much of an issue getting the hole a little wider.

Quick Reply: Receiver/hitch bike rack