Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recovery Points? (....on otherwise stock bumpers)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recovery Points? (....on otherwise stock bumpers)

With winter fast approaching, I want to add a recovery point up front (without adding a bumper) and am wondering what you guys are using and where you got it. Pics if you got 'em! Thanks in advance....

Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Good question...Unless you're going to drill your own holes in the frame, JATE rings are out for front recovery points. (I spent a little time with the L8 guys at MAR trying to find a place to attach one in the front...they couldn't come up with any that included keeping the front bumper intact either.)

There is always the factory tow loop/eye. You wouldn't want to go yanking on it too vigorously, or on a regular basis but it should do for an emergency recovery point...that is what it's there for after all.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never been yanked out but I have yanked out many people as well as towed then to safety using the factory tie down in the front as a last resort, otherwise I use the trailer hitch.

Pulled my son out of a mud hole buried up to the rear axle in a Chevy 1/2 ton with the trailer hitch no problem.

But yes, Jate rings are the preferred method.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pulling the A-bar off of my 04, which will leave me access to the frame. From what it sounds like, I have to drill another hole through the frame to run the jate ring bolt through? Any specific ring to get, or recommendations on sources?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Dave, if you are talking about removing the rectangular cross bar from the front of your frame, that is a huge mistake, you will be leaving a very weak spot and your frame can/will twist.
As for Jate rings, only use the original, not any of the after market ones that will and do fail. When using them you will still need to notch the bumper to be able to access them.
As for the factory tie down loops, that is just what they are and they will not take too much pulling. I had a friend try to pull out a Rover from the rear tie down, it came off and went thru his windshield.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi DM- No, I'm not talking about removing the cross member at the end of the frame, but the brush bar on the front bumper (see picture). Removing it leaves holes in the bumper mesh, through which I can access the frame. I'd like to put Jate rings there, just don't know if there is a standard size that fits there.

Also, there are two, very solid round holes in on the bottom of the brush bar. Do you think the brush bar's mounting is substantial enough to use these as recovery points? Perhaps a couple of d-ring shackles when off-road? The holes are in the 1/4+ inch steel framing of the brush bar, with plenty of width between them and the outside edge.

I use a trailer hitch insert for the rear.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Recovery Points? (....on otherwise stock bumpers)-img_3672.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Dave, if you are talking about removing the rectangular cross bar from the front of your frame, that is a huge mistake, you will be leaving a very weak spot and your frame can/will twist.
As for Jate rings, only use the original, not any of the after market ones that will and do fail. When using them you will still need to notch the bumper to be able to access them.
As for the factory tie down loops, that is just what they are and they will not take too much pulling. I had a friend try to pull out a Rover from the rear tie down, it came off and went thru his windshield.
Can you post or pm link to original jate rings? And something to use with the rear tow hitch.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Mudding

Thank you, those are the ones i saw. Wanted to make sure try were the original ones.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LundRover
something to use with the rear tow hitch.
http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant...J/PROD/R/RG722

I have one of these. It's good stuff.

Quick Reply: Recovery Points? (....on otherwise stock bumpers)